Legend BUG - Items clearly visible in the map are not showing at ALL in the legend when "Only show features visible in the map extent" is checked. HELP!

08-22-2018 03:10 PM
Shauna-RaeBrown
Occasional Contributor

Legend BUG - Items clearly visible in the map are not showing at ALL in the legend when "Only show features visible in the map extent" is checked.  HELP!  I've tried adding the layers again, which are line features that are part of the Local Government Information Model's SewerStormwater network.  If I leave the box unchecked, I get all of the feature types.  I'm beyond frustrated, and I've spent almost 6-hours on this map layout.  So even though I don't want my legend cluttered up with unneeded legend items, it looks like my ONLY alternative is to have a cluttered legend.

14 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Shauna-Rae, 

If you are pressed for time and the map you are authoring is not a map series or something that you will be updating later you could convert the legend to graphic and then remove the unwanted items manually. 

As far as the issue you are seeing, there is no known issue that I'm aware of that would explain this behavior. What is the data source for the layer in question?  If it is an enterprise geodatabase do you see the same problem if you copy the feature class into a file geodatabase and point your layer to the file geodatabase. If your data source is a file geodatabase, or you see the same issue with a layer pointing to a file geodatabase would you be able to share a project package with data?

Thanks, 

Tom

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Are you working in ArcMap or Pro?  Which version?

Have you tested the same functionality out on data not in LGIM?

0 Kudos
PaulaHilger
New Contributor

Hello,

today I encountered exactly the same issue and can't figure out why this is happening. 

I work in ArcGIS Pro towards a versioned database. In my legend I'm including two feature classes of this database, whereof one (line shapefile) shows perfectly when set to 'Only show features visible in the map extent' and the other (point shapefile) only shows when I allow to show all features but nothing when I only want to have those in the legend, that also (and clearly) also show in the map extent. The 'convert to graphic' idea is not a solution for me, since I work with quite complex maps. Any ideas?

Best, Paula

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Paula, 

This sounds like a bug. I'm unaware of any known issue pertaining to the issue you describe. Are you able to to contact Esri Support? They are better equipped to handle troubleshooting steps and gather bug data. They can be contacted at https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support.

Tom

0 Kudos
JonathonPalmer
New Contributor

Has a solution to this problem been found?  I am still experiencing this issue with a shapefile that has multiple attributes and all are showing up on the legend when only a few are visible on the map 

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Jonathon, 

I have not run into an issue with dynamic legends as described above. I've run some sanity tests using shapefiles and the legend was working as expected. I have no doubt that you are seeing a problem. However, there is little we can do without steps/data in which we can reproduce the problem.

Are you able to to contact Esri Support? They are better equipped to handle troubleshooting steps and gather bug data. They can be contacted at https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support.

Thanks, 

Tom

0 Kudos
AnthonyJonesRSK
Occasional Contributor II

Hi all, I recently came across this issue where certain features clearly showing in my map frame were not showing in my legend with "Only show features visible in the map extent" checked. I discovered that the cause of this was that the datasets in question where not in the same projection as my map frame. The data had been downloaded from AGOL so was in WGS84 Web Auxiliary Sphere and was being re-projected with a transformation to British National Grid. As soon as I converted my data to BNG the data started appearing as expected in my legend.

Hopefully this is the same issue others are seeing. Can someone at ESRI though confirm whether this is a bug or not though please? As my data is visible in the map frame I would assume it should appear in the legend but I assume the legend is not reading the transformation parameters applied in the map?

Thanks

Anthony

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Anthony, 

You are correct to assume that this is likely a bug.  I cannot confirm the bug, however, as I cannot reproduce the problem. Below is a screenshot of Feature Service point data for world cities available from ArcGIS.com (https://services.arcgis.com/P3ePLMYs2RVChkJx/arcgis/rest/services/World_Cities_analysis/FeatureServe... ). The map is in BNG and the city layer is projected on the fly. The legend is dynamic showing the visible features along with a count.

It is quite possible that the issue you are seeing is specific to the service, or the with the underlying database. In order to properly troubleshoot this issue we would need specific steps/data in order to reproduce the problem.  Can you contact Esri Support? They are better equipped to handle troubleshooting steps and gather bug data. They can be contacted at https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support.

Thanks, 

Tom

0 Kudos
AnthonyJonesRSK
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks for the response Tom. I'll log it as an issue with support and see what they come back with.

Just for reference, in my set up the layer in question has a join applied to it and the maps are in a map series if either of those are significant? The layer used to drive the map series is a polygon that matches the extent of the map window for the chosen scale. What I was finding is that the dynamic legend was picking up features on the right hand side of the map but not the left despite all features being within then map series polygon. They layers I was experiencing the issues with also had a map series page filter applied to them if that could make a difference?

Thanks

Anthony

0 Kudos