Least-Cost Path from Points to Polylines

Jump to solution
03-22-2021 02:15 PM
AmyNewsam
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I'm trying to determine least-cost paths from points to polylines (see snip below).  Is this possible?  The examples in the help pages use polygons, with only one starting and one ending feature, so perhaps I can't use multiple features and perhaps they must be of the same feature type?  I'm also noticing an error that my input starting point is outside of my cost surface, even though it is not. 

Any thoughts much appreciated!  🙂

AmyNewsam_0-1616446951122.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AmyNewsam
Occasional Contributor

Solution found!  Big thanks to the people at Esri for working with me on this one!  🙂

1)  Using the Cost Distance tool, I used the lines feature (just one line as a test) as "input raster or feature source" and a slope raster as my cost surface.

2)  Using the Cost Path tool, I used the points file and the two output rasters from the Cost Distance tool.

3)  I converted the resulting raster paths to lines using the Raster to Polyline tool.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Cost Path (Spatial Analyst)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Creating the least-cost path—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

there is no geometry limitation and your origin(s) have to be within the cost surface otherwise there is no way to determine a path.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
AmyNewsam
Occasional Contributor

Hi Dan,

I just can't get the tool to allow me to enter anything other than a points file in the Input Ending Point variable.  I have multiple lines and polygon files in the gdb, but nothing other than points files will show up as options.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You need origin and destination points on those.

Perhaps you should look at the new distance tools

Migrating from legacy distance tools to distortion free distance tools—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Perhaps

Optimal Region Connections (Spatial Analyst)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
AmyNewsam
Occasional Contributor

Ah, I see.  OK, I will take a look at that link.  To be honest, I am having difficulty understanding how all the different tools are used - cost distance, cost path, path distance...but I will keep plugging.  🙂  Thanks for your help, Dan.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

No problem

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
AmyNewsam
Occasional Contributor

Solution found!  Big thanks to the people at Esri for working with me on this one!  🙂

1)  Using the Cost Distance tool, I used the lines feature (just one line as a test) as "input raster or feature source" and a slope raster as my cost surface.

2)  Using the Cost Path tool, I used the points file and the two output rasters from the Cost Distance tool.

3)  I converted the resulting raster paths to lines using the Raster to Polyline tool.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Amy,

I recommend using the newer DistanceAccumulation and OptimalPathAs Line tools.

For an introduction to weighted distance analysis, Kevin Johnston has just authored this excellent set of blogs. Here is the first one:

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/spatial-analyst/analytics/distance-analysis-simplified/

Regards,

-Jim TenBrink

spatial analyst team

0 Kudos
AmyNewsam
Occasional Contributor

Thanks so much for this suggestion, and the link to the blog.  🙂

0 Kudos