Layout Legend Items missing

Jump to solution
03-11-2023 10:53 AM
Craig_Eissler_Iceman
Occasional Contributor III

...more trouble with the Layout Legend/Items as an element in Contents

My Map Frame displays the 2 Layers I want.

However, as an element in Contents, only 1 Layer (Legend Item) is listed.
So, of course, it's not in the Legend.

...Why is that?

Thanks, CCE

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Glad to hear it worked! Please share the kudos and mark the answer as accepted 🙂

Can't help you too much with the inconsistency. I haven't had any issues like that. It's great that the legend has a lot of options so we can make the best legends... but it also makes it tricky when you just want it to do its thing :). If you continue to encounter it I'd recommend trying to reproduce it cleanly and then logging a bug with support. i.e. if you have a map with a layer, create a layout with legend + new layer sync enabled, then add a new layer and it doesn't appear in legend - that could be a support case as it's not expected behavior. Without the reproducibility it's very difficult to know what happened given the range of workflows and configurations.

Either way - glad it seems to be working OK now!

View solution in original post

8 Replies
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Potential reasons:

• Layer is a graphics layer. Graphics are that - they aren't spatial layers, and aren't supported in the legend.
  • The layer is not listed in the legend layout element. You can re-add it, or ensure the layer visibility / new layers are 'synchronized' with the map
  • The legend is from another map e.g. an inset map. Somewhat common mistake when creating the legend with the other map selected.
  • The legend box is too small, and the layer cannot be listed. Need to have the box re-sized, font reduced, or automatically adjusted.

Please review these reasons and let us know if one of them resolved your issue by marking this answer as correct. If you need more information on one of the above please let us know. If all of them do not seem to apply, can you please share additional information - the layer types, legend options, screenshots or even a map/layout file or package?

Thanks

Craig_Eissler_Iceman

Thanks, but none of those reasons apply.

There's nothing tricky going on. It's a simple spatial layer that is turned on/visible on the Map that doesn't appear as a Legend Item in the Layout.

ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Can you share screenshots of the legend layout item, the layout + map, the legend settings, and the layer settings in the legend element itself?

0 Kudos
Craig_Eissler_Iceman

All of the Legend and Legend Items are the "defaults", but here is the Layout screenshot. You can see that PR_Cities is turned ON in the Map/Map Frame, but not listed as a Layout Legend Item.

Craig_Eissler_Iceman_0-1678595859835.png

ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Can you drag the PR_Cities layer from the map into the legend in the Contents Pane? 
We should see the PR_Cities layer under the 'Legend' element in the Content Pane.

The layer is not within the Legend element. It's either been removed, or the sync settings for the legend weren't setup for it to be added i.e. synchronize legend with map when new layer is added.

Craig_Eissler_Iceman_0-1678595859835.png

0 Kudos
Craig_Eissler_Iceman

OK that worked -- thanks! But, ALL "synchronized options" in the Legend Properties are turned on (check-marked), so I don't know why it wasn't listed? ...Like I say, I've seen some other inconsistent behaviors with this Legend Item listings recently, as well. For instance, sometimes ALL layers from the Map are listed in the Layout even if they are NOT turned on (visible) on the Map; yet other times, ONLY those tuned on are included; yet other times -- like this -- some are, and some are not.

ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Glad to hear it worked! Please share the kudos and mark the answer as accepted 🙂

Can't help you too much with the inconsistency. I haven't had any issues like that. It's great that the legend has a lot of options so we can make the best legends... but it also makes it tricky when you just want it to do its thing :). If you continue to encounter it I'd recommend trying to reproduce it cleanly and then logging a bug with support. i.e. if you have a map with a layer, create a layout with legend + new layer sync enabled, then add a new layer and it doesn't appear in legend - that could be a support case as it's not expected behavior. Without the reproducibility it's very difficult to know what happened given the range of workflows and configurations.

Either way - glad it seems to be working OK now!

Craig_Eissler_Iceman

Thanks again. And yes, now that weird things continue to happen, I'll report it.