Select to view content in your preferred language

Layers configured for offline use are dropped from Mobile Scene Package (mspk).

12-11-2023 01:25 AM
SonarBATStructureMAPS
Occasional Contributor

I want to create a 3D mobile app to be used primarily offline using ArcGIS AppStudio. In ArcGIS Pro, I’ve configured my Global Scene (WGS 1984) with my 3D elevation (Ground) layers and 2D rasters to drape over the 3D elevation layers. I created Tile Packages (.tpkx) for each 2D raster then shared them to ArcGIS Online where the tpkx is published as a Tile Layer (Hosted). In the Settings for each one of the published 2D rasters, I made sure to turn on the ‘Allow this layer to be downloaded and used in an offline map’ option.“

Tile Layer Hosted Settings 1.png

There’s a message just below the Offline on/off option that reads “Tiles must already be available for use offline. Build Tiles to ensure tiles exist in the areas to be downloaded.” To comply with this requirement, I made sure that all levels in the tile scales for each 2D raster - Tile layer (hosted) - were published and read as 100% complete.

Tiles 100% Built Out.png

In ArcGIS Pro, I added all the 2D raster Tile Layers (hosted) to my Global Scene so they draped over the 3D elevation layers and displayed the 3D scene as expected.

I then created a Mobile Scene Package (mspk) which included all 3D elevation layers and 2D Tile layers (hosted).

The mspk process was completed with warnings that said all my 2D raster Tile layer (hosted) layers weren’t included in the mspk and I need to select the ‘Reference Online Content’ option in the mspk geoprocess wizard if I want them to be included in the mspk. Of course, that means they won’t be available when the mobile app is running offline.

mspk error log.png

I’ve met all the requirements for my 2D rasters to be used offline, including creating tile packages (tpkx) for each raster layer and sharing the tpkx’s to ArcGIS Online. I enabled the ‘Allow this layer to be downloaded and used in an offline map’ option.” option for each one.  And made sure all levels in the tiling scale where published as 100% complete. But according to ArcGIS, they can only be used as online layers when included in a mspk??

Why do my Tile Layers hosted in ArcGIS Online and configured for offline use get dropped when the mspk is created??

Thank you in advance for any info which help me understand what's going on. 

Matt 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Matt,

The reference online parameter is for use when referencing the service layer by URL in the mobile scene package. This supports a specific hybrid workflow where you are not completely offline but still want access to some online hosted services such as the Terrain 3D. The tool does not currently support taking online services offline by extracting the online content. Based on the workflow you described you do not need to share the tpks as tile services so you can cut out that step. To get a completely offline scene you can run the tool with layers referencing the local content (tpkx).

thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos
SonarBATStructureMAPS
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the clarification Andrew. I appreciate the quick reply and useful information. 

Matt 

0 Kudos