Layer Heading changing back to <Value>

Jump to solution
11-12-2018 02:32 AM
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello ArcGIS Pro users and fans, 

I am just playing around a bit with ArcGIS Pro for a presentation during GIS day.

I wanted to demonstrate how easy it is to import existing map documents but I run again and again into following problem: 

I my map document(s) I defined the heading of the layer to show "Risk (t/ha/year)" instead of <VALUE> which has never been a problem in ArcGIS Desktop (at the moment at 10.6). I can change the text from <VALUE> to "Risk (t/ha/year)" in ArcGIS Pro buuuut it always changes back to <VALUE> when I close the project (Yes, I saved the project!). Is that a wanted behavior? Is there a different way to put something like a "unit descriptor" for an item in the legend?  

I could understand if it is not wanted to put something like a manual text instead of the heading because it might not be conform with publishing the map in AGOL. But why would you be allowed then to change it in the first place?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

After a very quick review, it certainly sounds like this bug which we have in the system:

[BUG-000117532: A renamed layer heading for a raster layer in ArcGIS Prol inconsistently reverts back to the heading of 'Value' while working in a project.]

If this is affecting your workflows, I'd highly encourage you to call technical support and get attached to the bug.

Thank you.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
KyleLandon
New Contributor II

I have also been having this problem. I believe it only occurs with raster layers.

The first time I go to change it, it rarely registers in the legend, I usually have to change it twice. Changing anything with respect to the symbology causes it to reset (I've tested with Stretch and Classify).

This is very frustrating because people reviewing the figures think we're incompetent (eg. "I asked you to change this last time?", "Why does this still say 'Value'?").

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

anybody report this?

Kory Kramer‌ an FYI in case you haven't got any listings for it

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

After a very quick review, it certainly sounds like this bug which we have in the system:

[BUG-000117532: A renamed layer heading for a raster layer in ArcGIS Prol inconsistently reverts back to the heading of 'Value' while working in a project.]

If this is affecting your workflows, I'd highly encourage you to call technical support and get attached to the bug.

Thank you.

Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Kory, 

I'm glad that it is a bug and not a wanted behavior which would have been worse from my point of view. 

It is annoying at this stage but luckily our clients are all still using ArcMap so it doesn't affect our work that much (yet). Would still be good to have this fixed soon!

0 Kudos