LAS dataset only displaying file extent boxes

02-05-2019 09:15 AM
IngridMans
Occasional Contributor II

I've created an LAS dataset and loaded a large amount of zLAS files (744) into it from another network drive. The store relatives path names box is unchecked. When viewing in the either a scene or a map, I cannot for the life of me get any points to display elevation. Only the red file extent boxes are appearing, and they are in the correct places at least. Any ideas what's going on here?  This screen shot is whatn I'm looking at. 

3 Replies
JohnSchweisinger
Occasional Contributor

If you zoom in closer does the point cloud appear? It might be the memory limitations of the machine not being able to display the data. The program will draw a wireframe when max out. Or the settings in the LAS Dataset may need to be updated to show data at zoomed out extent. 

0 Kudos
IngridMans
Occasional Contributor II

There are no zoom constraints set....I wouldn't be surprised if it's the machine's limitations since I have used smaller sections of las files from the same source to make smaller datasets. Are there any settings beyond the ones in the appearance and symbology tabs I might be missing? How does anyone visualize large/county level areas of las point clouds?

0 Kudos
JI_Tampa
New Contributor II

Try only having one LAS turned on, zoom in, turn off other layers and also close other applications on your machine. Wait and see if it starts to draw, the large file size probably is straining the computer and running slow. 

0 Kudos