Select to view content in your preferred language

Labels for Quantile classes

08-31-2022 09:37 AM
Craig_Eissler_Iceman
Occasional Contributor III

Hello, please see example below:

If I wanted to replace the Label column with "percentages", what would those values be?

(Obviously, each class contains 25% of the data since these are Quantiles)

But I am not certain what the correct ways are to express the percentage (as a label) for each class?

Thanks!

Labels for Quantile classes.png

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

<= 25%

>25 - <= 50%

>50 - <= 75%

> 75%

If you want to get real picky you would need to know what the exact values of the quantile boundaries are and adjust the <= or < symbology.  It follows the upper value symbology

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
Craig_Eissler_Iceman

OK thanks Dan, but "reversed" in association with the graphic I provided..?

Also, what about using (adding) words like "Top" or "Middle" or "Bottom", etc?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yes.  I wouldn't add those words since they often have different terms discipline dependent.

Quartile - Wikipedia

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
Craig_Eissler_Iceman

In reading that Wiki, it seems to be naming the break values -- which there are 3; and not the classes (value ranges) -- which there are 4 ...is that correct? If so, then it doesn't seem like that naming structure is a match.

I'm still looking for "words" to add to the numerical values (percentages) if it's an option..? Then I will elaborate in writing in my report for clarification.

0 Kudos
Craig_Eissler_Iceman

...In other words, would something like this  still be correct?

> 75% (Top 25%)

>50 - <= 75% (Top-Middle 25%)

>25 - <= 50% (Bottom-Middle 25%)

<= 25% (Bottom 25%)

...that said, if you had 5 classes (Quintiles) could you label just the Top 20%, Middle 20%, and Bottom 20%, and just leave the two in-between classes not labeled, or just with the numerical values?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

As I indicated, the useage is discipline specific,  

For instance I would report the median value and the upper bounds of the inter-quartile range as Q1, Q2 and Q3.  But I taught statistics for a number of years so it may not be useful for someone with less jargon baggage.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
Craig_Eissler_Iceman

Thanks for your suggestions, and in some cases, I can see that would be most appropriate.

However, I'm not certain it would be for my audience. So, aside from "appropriateness", I guess I'm still wondering if my suggestions would at least be "accurate" ...can this be answered with a yes or no?

Thanks 🙂

0 Kudos