Joined parcel feature class to non-spatial table, how do I create polygon features?

Jump to solution
02-14-2022 10:59 AM
JayHodny
Occasional Contributor III

Hello.  I am working with a non-spatial table of water meters.  I have joined a polygon parcel feature class to the table, so that each meter record has a parcel number.  The parcel spatial fields, length and area, are available as part of the join in the non-spatial data.  How do I, or can I, create a polygon feature class from this table?  I am trying to maintain multiple meter records all having the same parcel number.  In other words, if a property has 20 meters (apartments), there will be 20 identical parcel polygons stacked up.  Is this even possible to do?  Or should I use relate instead of join?  Joins and relates confuse me.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

reverse the join featureclasses, you can't make a non-spatial table spatial, but you can use the spatial featureclass with the join table.  joins and relates, one-to-on, or many to one.  It looks like you want to associate many meters with one polygon, it will work only one way.

Introduction to joins and relates—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

starting in that link and proceeding down the table of contents to the left of it will hopefully clarify your situation

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

reverse the join featureclasses, you can't make a non-spatial table spatial, but you can use the spatial featureclass with the join table.  joins and relates, one-to-on, or many to one.  It looks like you want to associate many meters with one polygon, it will work only one way.

Introduction to joins and relates—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

starting in that link and proceeding down the table of contents to the left of it will hopefully clarify your situation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos