Join not working on Indexed fields

09-25-2023 08:35 AM
Craig_Eissler_Iceman
Occasional Contributor III

Performing a "join on indexed fields" is not working.

...For instance when joining a Feature Class (of 50 States/features) with a Standalone Table of 50 records, the most common result is that only 1 record is joined -- and it's usually the last one in alphabetical order -- which is Wyoming.

This most often happens when one or both the common fields are "Indexed", as noted by the asterisk (*) after field name.
However, when this is "removed" with the 'Remove Attribute Index' tool, it will work.

Is this a BUG? Or, is there some other explanation?
Thanks,

Thanks, Craig E.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
David_McRitchie
Esri Contributor

Hey Craig,

I believe this should be possible so it might be a defect.

• Does this occur on any other datasets you have? 
  • If possible could you send a copy of the data you are using so we can test this?

Many thanks,

David

Esri UK -Technical Support Analyst
0 Kudos
Craig_Eissler_Iceman

Hello David and thanks for responding. I'll have to get the data from a student when this happens; then I'll attach. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Craig_Eissler_Iceman

Hello David, OK, I have an example attached!

0 Kudos
David_McRitchie
Esri Contributor

Hey Craig,

Thanks for getting that, unfortunately, that is just the .aprx file so it does not have the underlying data. Mind contacting your student again and asking if they can share this as a project package instead? They can access this option under the Share tab within ArcGIS Pro.

Many thanks,

David

0 Kudos
Craig_Eissler_Iceman

Hello, and sorry about that. The Project Package is too large to upload here, but attached is the Geodatabase with the two files. The Indexed common field is 'Name*'

0 Kudos
David_McRitchie
Esri Contributor

Hey Craig,

Thanks for your patience. I gave this a test and did not encounter the same issue. For me the join completes and I am able to see the joined data within the attribute table.

I would test exporting the layer and trying again, as well as testing it in a file geodatabase if that has not been done already.

Many thanks,

David

0 Kudos
Craig_Eissler_Iceman

Thanks, David ...and yeah, I didn't think you would experience the issue because it rarely happens on another computer. I don't experience the issue either! ...However, I have seen numerous times where it does happen on the original machine where the join is attempted. Even so, it does not happen all the time with every computer. And, like I say, when the issue arises, it will only be the last record in the dataset that joins (state of Wyoming). If we're working with 'county' data, and the issue occurs, it will only join the last 14 counties in the dataset -- which are all in the state of Wyoming.

It's very odd; but, someone with a deep understanding of 'Joins and Indexing' might be able to figure out why this sometimes happens. ...Like I say, here is a fix (remove the Index on the common field), but I'm still really curious how this can happen in the first place.

Thanks, Craig

0 Kudos
David_McRitchie
Esri Contributor

Hey Craig,

It is a rather unusual one for sure. Has it ever happened on other datasets and is it only happening on one computer?

It unfortunately could be an environmental issue, but if we are seeing this on other layers and devices then it might be something to raise a technical support case for a defect review.

Many thanks,

David

0 Kudos
Craig_Eissler_Iceman

Hello David,

It happens on various machines, but only when the origin of the Standalone Table is a CSV Text file before importing into the Geodatabase. When the Standalone Table origin is a dBASE (before importing to the GDB) it works fine. See new data attached that more accurately reflects the issue.

0 Kudos