Select to view content in your preferred language

Issue with Custom Locator Longitude Latitude based upon NAD

Jump to solution
07-20-2022 12:22 PM
AdamKurth
New Contributor

I've run into a problem after upgrading to ArcGIS Pro 3.0 that I'm hoping to get some ideas about. Shortly after upgrading my software, I downloaded the June version of the National Address Database and used it to create an Address Locator in ArcGIS Pro. The creation is successful, and I'm able to geocode addresses from a csv file without errors.

The result, though, is that all addresses are located in the eastern Pacific Ocean - these are all addresses in Iowa - and the culprit appears to be that the geocoding process creates features where X and Y are not the longitude/latitude coordinates from the NAD, but rather are separate coordinates (that I don't recognize; example: X(-168896.13984),Y(5105471.669462)). The rows are coded properly to NAD data, but the long/lat coordinates from the NAD are entered in the "DisplayX" and "DisplayY" fields rather than the X and Y fields. The data in the DisplayX/DisplayY fields is a correct match for the address that was geocoded. 

This may or may not have to do with the upgrade to 3.0. I don't do this regularly in my role, but have - in the past - successfully created a locator and geocoded data. It's very possible that I'm just missing a step or doing something incorrectly, but I'm interested if others have ideas. For reference, I created the locator using the following settings (field maps to the NAD Schema): 

• Primary Table: National Address Databse
  • Role: Point Address
  • House Number: Address Number (HNO)
  • Prefix Direction: Street Name Pre Directional (PRD)
  • Prefix Type: Street Name Pre Type (STP)
  • Street Name: Street Name (RD)
  • Suffix Type: Street Name Post Type (STS)
  • Suffix Direction: Street Name Post Directional (POD)
  • Unit: Unit (UNIT)
  • City: Incorporated Municipality
  • County: County
  • State: State
  • ZIP: ZIP Code
  • Display X: Address Longitude
  • Display Y: Address Latitude
  • Language Code: English

And I geocoded my CSV data using the following settings (fields from my csv file): 

• Input Locator: NADLocator (created with settings above)
  • Input Table: ***.csv
  • More than one field
  • Address: Street Address
  • Address2: Unit Number
  • City: city
  • State: state
  • ZIP: zip5
  • Preferred Location Type: Address Location
  • Output Fields: All

I've rebuilt the locator a couple of times, but what mystifies me is that it seems to be working properly, since addresses are matched and the correct data is entered in Display X and Display Y in my resultant feature class. I'm not sure where the X / Y data is coming from, and am at a loss for how to resolve this. I appreciate any thoughts that others have!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

@AdamKurth It's possible the behavior you are encountering is related to how the locator was created. Do you get the same results if you do not map the  DisplayX and DisplayY fields when building the locator?

Do the points in the NAD data represent the rooftop location or parcel centroid of the address or the street location of the address? The DisplayX and DisplayY fields are used to indicate the rooftop or parcel centroid location of the address and when mapped to create the locator it allows you to make use of the Preferred Location Type setting in the locator properties to control where the geocoded address is displayed on the map. If the DisplayX and DisplayY fields are mapped the values in those fields must be in the same spatial reference as the feature's geometry. More information can be found in the following topics:

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geocoding/display-geocode-results-on-the-map.htm

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geocoding/tips-for-improving-geocoding-quality.ht...

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

@AdamKurth It's possible the behavior you are encountering is related to how the locator was created. Do you get the same results if you do not map the  DisplayX and DisplayY fields when building the locator?

Do the points in the NAD data represent the rooftop location or parcel centroid of the address or the street location of the address? The DisplayX and DisplayY fields are used to indicate the rooftop or parcel centroid location of the address and when mapped to create the locator it allows you to make use of the Preferred Location Type setting in the locator properties to control where the geocoded address is displayed on the map. If the DisplayX and DisplayY fields are mapped the values in those fields must be in the same spatial reference as the feature's geometry. More information can be found in the following topics:

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geocoding/display-geocode-results-on-the-map.htm

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geocoding/tips-for-improving-geocoding-quality.ht...

AdamKurth
New Contributor

Thanks, ShanaBritt! Not mapping DisplayX and DisplayY was the solution in this case; I appreciate the recommendation!

0 Kudos