Select to view content in your preferred language

ISSUE: Feature Classes becoming File Geodatabase Tables

07-24-2024 04:35 PM
Labels (1)
MIGUELANGELLIRAMIJARES
Emerging Contributor

I am having an issue when using the tool "Feature Class to Geodatabase" to convert Shapefiles to Geodatabase - Feature Classes. Sometimes the elements do convert to "Geodatabase Feature Layers" as it is supposed to do, but sometimes, some elements convert to "Geodatabase Tables".

Seems like I am not the only one having this issue, here is a link of another post of someone else who had the exact same issue, but there was not a real Solution to it: Solved: Feature Classes becoming File Geodatabase Tables - Esri Community

I hope someone can help me with this, since I cannot add the Global ID field to the elements that were wrong converted to "Geodatabase Table". This is becoming frustrating, since the convertion is kind of "random", sometimes the elements do convert to "Geodatabase Feature Layer", but sometimes it will convert to "Table".

I tried using the tools "Check Geometry" and "Fix Geometry", since the "Shape*" field still is in those "Geodatabase table" elements, but they do not work at all.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MiguelParedes
Esri Contributor

Greetings @MIGUELANGELLIRAMIJARES 

Do you get this result off and on with the same shapefile?
Are you converting multiple Shapefiles to a Geodatabase?
Is the end product an FGDB or EGDB?
Are you using the Feature Class To Geodatabase from ArcGIS Pro, if so, what version?

I have used the tool in ArcGIS Pro many times but I have not ever experienced what you are seeing.

Can you share one of the Shapefiles you are having the issue with?

Thank you.

Miguel
0 Kudos
MIGUELANGELLIRAMIJARES
Emerging Contributor

Hi @MiguelParedes, unfortunately I cannot share any Shapefile. But to answer the other questions, I do get this result off and on with the same shapefile, I am actually having to manually delete those "Geodatabase tables" elements, and run the "Feature Class to Geodatabase" tool again on the original Shapefile, and that way it does converts it to a "Geodatabase Feature Class".
Yes, I am converting multiple Shapefiles to a Geodatabase at the same time using this tool.
I created the Geodatabase file/folder using the catalog in ArcGIS Pro and then I started adding the converted shapefiles to that Geodatabase, therefore, I believe it is a FGDB, but I am not entirely sure about the difference between EGDB and FGDB.
Yes, I am using the Feature Class to Geodatabase tool in ArcGIS Pro, and I currently have the 3.3.0 ArcGIS Pro version (I haven't have time yet to update, but I don't think this should be an issue since the the other Post I reffered on my original post had the same issue, and it's dated 2020).

Hopefully this gives you a better idea of the issue I am currently having.

Thank you

0 Kudos
MIGUELANGELLIRAMIJARES
Emerging Contributor

UPDATE: Now I am noticing that some of the elements that actually were correctly converted to Geodatabase Feature Class in the begining, suddenly they are converting to "Geodatabase tables" when I run the "Feature Class to Geodatabase" tool on other those elements that were wrongly converted in the begining.

This is really frustrating, I hope someone can tell me a different way to convert SHP to Geodatabase Feature classes without struggling with this

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you just want to convert a shapefile to a gdb featureclass, then you can use

Copy Features (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Export Features (Conversion)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
MIGUELANGELLIRAMIJARES
Emerging Contributor

Hello @DanPatterson,

The issue is not the convertion, the issue is actually the feature classes inside the Geodatabase randomly converting to "Geodatabase tables". I have spoke with ESRI's IT, but it seems like this issue only occurs when working the Geodatabase inside of a cloud drive.

ArcGIS Pro for some reason randomly converts the feature classes inside de Geodatabase to "Geodatabase tables" when working in files inside the cloud, but it doesn't do it when working in local files

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I didn't know you were using cloud storage.  It is disappointing that it would add a new wrinkle of issues in an otherwise simple process.  Good luck

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos