Select to view content in your preferred language

Is there any way to view .accdb data in Pro?

Jump to solution
04-20-2020 08:22 AM
KamillePreto
Occasional Contributor II

I never use Microsoft Access for the work that I do, but I do know that GIS professionals would be able to open or convert the Access data into their GIS. I was sent a .accdb from somebody who needs a map created and web application and I am unfamiliar with what the steps look like from here. I am aware that .accdb are no longer able to open up in Pro (I read in a few forums), however, I feel like there has to be some way to get the data from an .accdb into Pro so I can save the layers as shapefiles or feature classes.

I tried to go to Properties of the .accdb and change the extension to .gdb, which worked. But it is not showing up as a file that is able to be pulled into Pro - I assume it's formatting related.

Can anybody help me?

This type of GIS-related work is above my skill set and I am definitely confused.

25 Replies
MiguelMartinez2
New Contributor II

When ArcMap was release back on 1999, half of the ArcView tools were missing. And then year after year ESRI made these big announcements of the new things coming to ArcMap and most of the new things were tolls already available in ArcView. The same thing happens with the release of ArcGIS Pro, half of the ArcMap tolls were missing and then for the past years they have been incorporated to Pro as a new thing. That’s why users like me are still saying, “what were they thinking???”.  Of course, to be fair, there were new tools in ArcMap that did not exist in ArcView, and there are tools in ArcGIS Pro that never existed in ArcMap. But the point is, you don’t release a new version of anything taking away past functionalities just to say you have a new software. You keep adding up and keep having your customers happy. So, what can we expect in the future when ArcGIS Pro is replaced by a new software, that we are going to have, again, half the tools missing? And now that ESRI used the “Pro” suffix in this latest version, what would they called the next software, Super Pro, Mega Pro, Pro Pro??? The answer to all this is very simple, talk to your customers before and find out what they really want to see in a new installment. Do focal groups, do beta testing, do surveys, and most of all, be users of your own products so that you can really understand what we as users want in future releases.

0 Kudos
BranislavBlagojevic

James, 

Microsoft SQL Server is free but people here discussing direct reading MS Access data from ArcGIS Pro software (Basic, Standard and Advanced), not Enterprise Solution; not about SDE and not about ArcGIS Server. As far as I know from ArcGIS Pro it is not possible to even connect to SQL Server Express, as it was (I haven't tested in ArcGIS Dektop 10.8) possible from ArcMap/ArcCatalog (Personal SDE). So it's not free!

0 Kudos
JamesBurn__LET__C_E_T___GISP__
New Contributor III

Hi Branislav,

I agree that going through SQLServer is not ideal, but as there have been discussions about running the solution through other applications such as excel or flat files (csv's) I felt that it was worth mentioning. Especially as it a) generally handles the field type issue that has been discussed and b) one can bring in an entire MS Access db in one go.

Regarding your comment about enterprise and SDE, I can clarify - what I mentioned can be done just using a regular license without the need for enterprise, ArcServer or SDE. With the screenshots that I posted being just that - a direct link from my ArcPro Basic license to my locally installed SQL Server Express. You just need to use the "add database connection" from the "connections" dropdown. This will allow you to bring in both tabular data tables and spatial ones with geometry. Note that you will need primary keys of some sort and there may be editing limitations depending on one's configuration. 

I can appreciate the confusion though as ArcPro appears to list any SQL Server connection as "SDE" regardless of whether or not it actually is.

I hope that helps to clarify things.

The end result though is that once the data is in ArcPro. One can then save to other formats if needed etc.

BranislavBlagojevic

Kory,

Thanks for the nice news!

0 Kudos
BranislavBlagojevic

James,
Thanks a lot! I'll test this. My last connection test (AGP ver. 2.1? MS SQL Server Express 2014) failed. Obviously I was doing something wrong, so I'll try again with AGP 2.5 and MS SQL Server Express 2019.

0 Kudos
JamesBurn__LET__C_E_T___GISP__
New Contributor III

Good point - I'm using ArcPro v2.5 and MS SQL Server 2016/2018.

I hope that helps.

Cheers.

0 Kudos