Is there an 'Identify Route' tool?

04-11-2018 08:41 AM
StevenWeaver1
New Contributor II

In ArcGIS Pro 2.1, is there an equivalent to to ArcMap's Identify Route Location?   

I checked 'Tools that are not available', and  it's not listed.  However, I did not find any mention in the ArcGIS Pro 2.1 documentation.  

Thanks,

Steven

0 Kudos
25 Replies
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

Updating this old thread for tracking and community documentation.

At ArcGIS Pro 2.4, the Navigation > Explore tool included this enhancement.  You can view m-values in a pop-up for a feature that contains measured values (m-values) in their geometries. The coordinate display at the bottom of the pop-up includes the m-value closest to the clicked location in the map or scene. For linear geometries, the value is calculated by interpolating between the nearest vertices. 

Pop-ups for M-aware features

Related thread Link with Screenshots.

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
PeteJordan
Occasional Contributor III

So, 2.9 has been released and has a number of LRS updates associated with it, but again, it seems it's still only under the Pipeline Referencing System.  I know it was mentioned before that the LRS creation and modification was going to be implemented at some point as it was in ArcMap so we can create, modify and edit our LRS systems we have without having to pay for a separate license.

Is this still the plan or has it now just been incorporated into a new cost?  We are still having to use ArcMap for all LRS editing functions at this point and was hoping 2.9 would have introduced what ArcMap had in regardles to all LRS editing functionality (such as "drop Measures", "Set as Distance", "Apply Factor", "Identify Route Measure", etc)...

0 Kudos
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

LRS community @PeteJordan ArcGIS Pro 2.9 has introduced a Linear Referencing tab on the ribbon that provides a new way to manage, visualize, and process measured data. Additional functionality to update route meaures has been introduced.

Linear ReferencingLinear Referencing(Note: this does not require advanced LRS licensing like Pipeline Referencing or Roads & Highways)

As posted previously, viewing measures was added to the Navigation > Explore tool at ArcGIS Pro 2.4. Further enhancement  includes additional measure fields in the pop-up display. Identify Route tool capabilities are documented as View Route measures.

Another neat addition is Find Routes that allows you to search by providing a Route Identifier and measure value without having to know the exact coordinates of the routes. 

Related Blog: How to choose between linear referencing and location referencing

Please post on ArcGIS Ideas for additional LRS functionality in ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos
PeteJordan
Occasional Contributor III

@AyanPalit , thanks, and I know you have been able to view LRS measurs in the past, but my question is why I'm not able to simply select a line feature, and use any of these commands that are listed in Pro the same way as in ArcMap?

Drop Measuresesri_editing_RouteSetAsDistanceContextMenuItem

Set As Distance - esri_editing_RouteSetAsDistanceContextMenuItem

Apply Factor - esri_editing_RouteApplyFactor_ContextMenuItem

Currently it seems if I want to add measures to a route, I have to use the Make Route in the Modify pane, but this seems to create a duplicate record for the feature (minus some of the fields that don't transfer over) and I have one without any measures and a new one with measures which seems confusing, unless I'm missing something.  If I want to edit the verticies on the line feature, the verticies start point is now a circle and not just a normal vertice.  Dropping measures also doesn't seem to work in case you need to remove all measures from a feature in case you want to re-do it, etc.

Maybe unless I'm missing it, maybe that I need to put into the ArcGIS Ideas then as it seems now this is a lot more work and more time consuming with more possibilities for errors...

0 Kudos
ESHERRI
New Contributor

This thread is old, but with no updates for the LRS identification tool in 3.1.2 a workaround was found in our team... Our linework has DFO's and using the Explore tool:

ESHERRI_0-1708448674403.png

and clicking on a linear item, the pop-up menu shows an M value - this is the DFO at that point:

ESHERRI_1-1708448755291.png

Hope that helps - and thanks to our GIS team!

0 Kudos
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks @ESHERRI - glad your team is using this enhancement to the Explore tool introduced at ArcGIS Pro 2.4 - see my post. Feel free to mark as solution, so other users can easily find the post

AyanPalit_0-1708452068861.png

0 Kudos