Is the ASUS VivoMini VC66 ok for GIS analysis?

10-31-2017 04:38 AM
TanyaEsteves
New Contributor

Hi.

I'm thinking about buying a mini pc and I thought of the Asus VivoMini VC66 (VivoMini VC66 | Mini PCs | ASUS USA ). 

I'm doing my PhD and I'm goind to do a lot of geoprocessing, which include agent-based modelling and remote sensing of a large region. All the features seem attractive and apparently up to the task of what I need to do, but I'm not sure about the graphics card (Intel HD graphics 630).

I'm also looking at the MSI Trident 3 (https://www.msi.com/Desktop/Trident-3.html ). I figure that, since it's a gaming pc, it'll be OK for what I need for geoprocessing

Any help? Any other suggestion for a mini pc that would fit my requirements?

Thanks in advance.

Tanya

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The system requirements for arcmap are here check the hardware, including video and software links.

Similar but a higher level of requirement for ArcGIS Pro

0 Kudos
TanyaEsteves
New Contributor

Thank you Dan.

I have seen that link before. But, while I kind of understand processor speeds and everything else, I don't get graphic card descriptions. I have no idea if that graphic card complies to what the specs it refers to. I have had both pages open and tried to compare info, but I just don't get it!

I have interest in computers, but (sadly) I'm not a computer geek (I mean this in the nicest way possible)!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If the specs match then you are good.. 

Another smart move... go to the store... ask to see ... 'X' ... browse to the link... on that page there is a link to check to see if it will run

like this....  

TanyaEsteves
New Contributor

Ok, this I didn't know. Thank you so much!

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

In addition to the great suggestions Dan Patterson provided, you should take into account the part of processing large amounts of data. Although processor speed, the amount of RAM (CPU and GPU) influence for a large part the speed that you will obtain, you should also see if you can go for SSD drive(s) this will provide a lot of gain. 

Apart from the hardware specifications, what software will you be using? I notice that you posted this question in ArcGIS Online, which will not be what you will be using for your analysis from what I interpret, but you will probably be using ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro (you should really go Pro). 

And apart from software, your data structure is very important. If you are going to work with large amount of raster data, you may want to consider Mosaic Datasets and using Raster Chain Functions for efficiency: Get started with image and raster processing—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

TanyaEsteves
New Contributor

Hi Xander, thank you for the helpful suggestions.

I will indeed buy a new pc with a SSD disk (it's basically what bought me some time with my current pc). Even with an old computer the change is astronomical. The main charactereristics for this particular mini pc are i7-7700 3.60 GHz - 16GB DDR4 SDRAM - 512GB SSD. I think they're pretty good specs for what I need. Not sure about the graphic card and it's capabilities(Intel HD graphics 630). That's the iffy part for me.

As for the software, I was thinking of Arcgis Desktop, just because I haven't got around to trying out the Pro version yet... Do you think it might be more adequate? I have never used it so I have no idea.

As for the data structure, I would build a geodatabase, with all raster info as mosaics. Never heard of Raster Chain Functions, so thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out.

Might I say how wonderful these communities are!!

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I would definitely suggest you to use ArcGIS Pro. You can buy a wonderful computer with the best specs, but using ArcMap will limit the use of the resources since it is using 32 bit technology. So yes, go Pro! The training site has a number a free short courses that will help you get started with ArcGIS Pro: https://www.esri.com/training/catalog/search/ 

When you want to find out how a GPU or CPU performs I normally check these sites:

PassMark Software - Video Card (GPU) Benchmark Charts - Video Card Model List 

PassMark - CPU Benchmarks - List of Benchmarked CPUs 

... and validate performance:

Videocard Name

Rank

(lower is better)

Passmark G3D Mark

(higher is better)

GeForce GTX 1060 3GB278631
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti625733
Intel HD 6303541202

In order to get into details of what for instance is recommended for ArcGIS Pro, you would probably have to go into the manufacturers page. In short, normally a GPU with dedicated RAM will have better performance. 

JamesMisencik1
New Contributor II

Hi Tanya,

I was in this exact same position a year ago: I needed to upgrade from a laptop to a desktop so that I could crunch some data in ArcGIS for my dissertation. I knew that ArcGIS Pro was coming out (or had just come out) and that for a new person to ArcGIS, I knew that it was recommended to start out with ArcGIS Pro. I ended up more or less learning Desktop and Pro (end of the day, very similar capabilities), and I sometimes, sometimes, need to do something in Desktop, but for 99% of the things that I need to do, they are done in Pro (or QGIS - open source software). And Pro is a lot more user friendly to a newbie who has grown up working with the Microsoft Office suite their whole life.

Why does that matter? Pro does suggest/require higher computer specs and especially, in your case, a better graphics card. Because Pro aims to provide a more or less seamless transition between 2D and 3D rendering, ESRI wants you to have a more powerful graphics card. The graphics card in the VivoMini is not good and it is "integrated", integrated means that it is soldered to the mother board and you cannot upgrade it. HOWEVER, this might not be an issue for you if you do not plan to do 3D rendering - if you just stick to 2D mapping, the graphics card that is integrated on the VivoMini should be just fine.

Everything else in the VivoMini looks good (i7 processor, 16gbs RAM (Pro says minimum 8gb, recommends 16gb I believe), 500gb ssd, etc.). And the graphics card will be fine unless you want to render 3D. That size of SSD should also be fine UNLESS you plan to play with a lot of imagery. For example, I went nuts and downloaded 20 years worth of Landsat imagery for my area of interest...half-way through the download process I realized I needed more storage. So I ran out and bought a 1TB HDD just for storage - slower and cheaper than SSD, but fine for storage.

Everyone has there plug and this is mine: I would suggest, for reasons of upgradeability (is that a word?), that you assemble your own computer. Its really pretty simple, I have no computer background and I was able to do it pretty easy. You can get a top-of-the-line desktop that meets your exact requirements and leaves room for upgradeability if you suddenly realize "man, really wish I could render 3D with a better graphics card," or "wow, that Landsat imagery really takes up a lot of space." I can post link to a website where you punch in your requirements and it checks for all part compatibility and best prices on each part, if your interested. If you're not even the slightest bit mechanically inclined, if you've never seen a screwdriver, I'd ask your friends/colleagues: chances are good someone has assembled their own computer and will help you. The other great thing about assembling your own system is that you avoid all the pre-installed bloatware that is ubiquitous these days. And you can put it in any case you like, for example, you could make your own "mini". And its cheaper.

I'd also avoid buying a "gaming" system, I've done that before too, for the same reasons you mention. You pay more for stuff you don't need.

Bottomline: i7 processor, 16gb RAM, SSD (size depends on you), graphics card (if you plan to render 3D).

TanyaEsteves
New Contributor

Hi James,

First off, thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive response! Mind blown!

I really wouldn't mind assembling my own computer. The issue is that I'm from Portugal and am currently in Canada for a month for my PhD. So... seeing as that the exact same computer in Europe costs waaaaay more than in Canada (basically thanks to currency exchange), I wanted to buy one here. So I would have to scale down the size of the actual computer to take it with me safely (I basically bought along an empty carry-on for that purpose). Don't really feel like buying a laptop... maybe at a later stage. So, with the max I intend on spending, I can buy a much better computer here that in Portugal. This is my main issue.

That's why I targeted the Vivo VC66. Is seems great. Small, nice specs... with the exception of the graphics card. I may not be 3D rendering today, but I certainly don't know if I'll be doing it tomorrow, so, just because I'm buying a new one now, I'd like to get the absolute best within my budget to accomodate future needs. Well, I now technology evolves and software requirements become more and more demanding, and that the "super computer" I buy today may be old news tommorrow, at least it won't be really, really old news  The one I bought back in 2009 (with minor upgrades) is still a pretty good machine. Maybe not for GIS processing, but overall it gets the job done nicely. 

So... with all this I guesss I want to say is that I've forgotten the Vivo VC66 and, despite what you suggested, I'm leaning towards the MSI Trident 3. It basically has great specs (including graphics card). I might want a better SSD, but I can take the 512gb from my old pc and stick in the new one. And voilá... fresh installation and good bye bloatware. And for storage, I also have a 1Tb disk on the  side for storage. It's pretty much the setup I have on my old computer, so nothing that I would have to get used to. 

Nonetheless, could you send me that link you mentioned so I can mess around with it and see if I can get a cheaper option for the same specs?

Thanks a bunch.

0 Kudos