Is the ASUS VivoMini VC66 ok for GIS analysis?

10-31-2017 04:38 AM
TanyaEsteves
New Contributor

Hi.

I'm thinking about buying a mini pc and I thought of the Asus VivoMini VC66 (VivoMini VC66 | Mini PCs | ASUS USA ). 

I'm doing my PhD and I'm goind to do a lot of geoprocessing, which include agent-based modelling and remote sensing of a large region. All the features seem attractive and apparently up to the task of what I need to do, but I'm not sure about the graphics card (Intel HD graphics 630).

I'm also looking at the MSI Trident 3 (https://www.msi.com/Desktop/Trident-3.html ). I figure that, since it's a gaming pc, it'll be OK for what I need for geoprocessing

Any help? Any other suggestion for a mini pc that would fit my requirements?

Thanks in advance.

Tanya

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
JamesMisencik1
New Contributor II

Sure: www.pcpartpicker.com. If, for example, you are still looking for a "mini" tower, I'd start by selecting that and then picking the other parts to make sure everything still fits inside the smaller box...pcpartpicker will let you know if everything is compatible. Note that any processor with a "K" at the end, e.g. i7-6700K, means that it is capable of being "overclocked" and needs a separate cooling fan (non-K processors come with their own little cooling fan). You probably don't need a "K" processor and you may have a tough time fitting a cooling fan into a mini tower if you go that route. But hey go nuts if it suits you. For graphics cards, Xander Baker's reply above is good info. I think I went with the GTX 1060 6gb a year ago, which is more than enough for ArcGIS Pro, so don't let yourself get overwhelmed by graphics cards because there are zillions out there and you can always upgrade later. Good luck.

0 Kudos