Is it possible to download/visualize/acquire information about the Geoprocessing tools applied to a certain dataset?

Jump to solution
01-24-2019 02:08 AM
DianaMoreno
New Contributor

Dear all,

Hope you can help me with this one. I am currently trying to figure out how to map the results of a study that was made one year ago. From what I know, the dataset contains all the steps of the calculations but certainly it will take me more time than expected just figuring out what corresponds to what step.

I know metadata will help me but unfortunately there is none for my dataset. Is there anyway I can get info regarding on the calculations they did?

Cheers!

Diana

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Diana

I suspect the geoprocessing history may no longer exist.

The metadata is usually stored in the .xml file associated with the shapefile. Can you check to see whether if was present before you started working with this file?

Regards 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
MervynLotter

Hi Diana

There is metadata and metadata. Every feature class has its own metadata which ArcGIS keeps track of. 

In what format is your data? A feature class, shapefile, AGOL feature layer? Metadata more limited for shapefiles. 

If your data in a feature class, and you change your metadata type under Options to anything else other than the default Item Description, you should see a section called Geoprocessing history which keeps track of all the geoprocessing tools run on your feature class. 

Below is an example of the geoprocessing history that Pro keeps track of. 

0 Kudos
DianaMoreno
New Contributor

Hey!

Thanks for the answer. I have changed the metadata type under the options for the project this shape file is in. However where do I see the Geoprocessing history? 

Cheers,

Diana

0 Kudos
MervynLotter

Hi Diana

Do you know what software created the shapefile?  I can view the geoprocessing history of some of my shapefiles but not all of my shapefiles contain that history. It may be more limited than geodatabase feature classes.

Regards

Mervyn

0 Kudos
DianaMoreno
New Contributor

Hey Mervyn,

Is for sure ArcGIS Desktop the software the person who made the geoprocessing used. On PRO there is no info though.

Best,

Diana

0 Kudos
MervynLotter

Hi Diana

I suspect the geoprocessing history may no longer exist.

The metadata is usually stored in the .xml file associated with the shapefile. Can you check to see whether if was present before you started working with this file?

Regards 

DianaMoreno
New Contributor

Hey Mervyn,

I just found the .XLM files! Just got what I needed, thank you very much!

Best,

Diana

0 Kudos
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

Just for the discussion about ArcGIS Pro, there are two options for logging your geoprocessing operations - A> with the data/metadata, and B> in an external XML file

Geoprocessing options—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop