central feature tool crashes

01-23-2019 07:12 PM
BryanKrouse1
New Contributor II

I teach an online ArcGIS Pro course, and my students are trying to run the Central Feature and Deviational Ellipse Geoprocessing tool but it does a hard crash each time. The students have the trial version installed on their personal computer. These tools work fine from my computer. I'm not sure why it is crashing...

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

They are licensed of course(?)

What is the error message exactly?

data source and results to a local folder?

the horrid 'c:\users...' folder

geodatabase for both source and result?

saving to network location? ... (hopefully not a usb, or One Drive or some other cloudy place)

If they are saving to a shapefile have they selected a folder for the result?

Central Feature—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

some of the issues I have found that solved 'fail' problems in my labs

0 Kudos
BryanKrouse1
New Contributor II

Dan,

Yes, they are Esri authorized licenses. Some students are running 2.2.4 and 2.0. At this point, it seems like 2.0.1 is working for me and another student. They do not receive an error message as the computer just shuts down. The output file is going to a geodatabase. They should be saving to their hard drive. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Bryan... works in 2.3 beta, so I presume 2.3.  I just used the defaults to a fc in a gdb for a point file

0 Kudos
BryanKrouse1
New Contributor II

Dan, thank you for trying on your end. It seems to be hit and miss and I'm not sure why. 

0 Kudos
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

Bryan, can you access the path %localappdata%\Esri\ErrorReports on one of the machines that experienced the crash? You should be able to find crash reports with a timestamp of when the tool ran and crashed. If you can please send this file to me at dflater@esri.com, and/or upload it here to the post, I would like to troubleshoot the problem to see if it is solved in more recent software versions (as indicated by Dan).

Thanks for your help!

Drew

0 Kudos