Select to view content in your preferred language

Is ArcGIS Pro still unstable?

06-17-2020 03:41 PM
WarrenJensen
New Contributor

Just a general question - I'd like the community's response. Is ArcGIS Pro still unstable? I tried the first couple of version and it would crash. All. The. Time. Is it more stable now? Thanks.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I use ArcGIS Pro 2.5.1 nearly 8 hours a day. Rarely get a crash.Certainly not any more than I used to get in ArcGIS 10.6 which was the last version I used. (I don't even have ArcMap/Catalog installed...)

That should just about do it....
BrianE
by
Frequent Contributor

Mostly stable but unbearably slow when working on a network.

DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Crashed once.

I work with local data, no web-sourced or SDE stuff

Heavy use of tools, arcpy, python and related modules, multiple extensions (SA, GA, NA, etc

I rarely make maps, made a layout a couple years ago

... sort of retired...
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

You made a layout a couple of years ago? LOL 

Well I can't cast the first stone, never even used the GA extension...

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I use ArcGIS Pro daily and have experienced little to no crashes.  I am using a Dell 5285 tablet with 16 GB of RAM and an okay graphics card - works fine for my ArcGIS Pro classes.

DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

I use ArcPro about 50% of the time, I have found it to be quite stable although it has crashed a few times, certainly no more than ArcMap, so I'm not pulling my hair out or anything. I like its start up time, generally much quicker than ArcMap, even better now they have a blank template, which means if I get some dataset I find I am preferentially starting Pro simply because its quicker to get going.

I do agree with Brian that is slows down, I've got some pretty large projects with many datasets joining to tables etc and that gets quite painful. But it's that annoying trade off having the flexibility of many maps and layouts in ONE project (love it) vs. performance.

Geo-processing seems pretty solid, well I've yet to break it .

A big hurdle for me is not supporting MS Access database and functionality which is pure heaven to use in ArcMap simply not existing in ArcPro, but they are listening and putting stuff back (albeit a bit quirky sometimes)

A nice computer with a reasonable graphics card and lots of SSD disk space and you should have a good experience in using it.

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

You'll be able to connect to MS Access databases in Pro 2.6 (scheduled for late July).

https://community.esri.com/ideas/13645 

Also, for some of the geoprocessing/join issues, 2.6 will bring improvements in this area so definitely upgrade when it is released!

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

...connect to MS Access databases in Pro 2.6....

That's gonna make a lot of people very happy! (But now they are gonna want the personal geodatabse too ...)

That should just about do it....
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

At least in Pro 2.6 the GDAL PGeo driver is available to copy data out of a Personal Geodatabase, you would code it similarly to my comments in the link below.  Not direct read sorry...

https://community.esri.com/ideas/15746 

0 Kudos