Select to view content in your preferred language

Installing spyder in Arcgis Pro 2.9

06-13-2022 11:03 AM
WadeWall
Regular Contributor

Hi all,

I updated to Arcgis Pro 2.9 and now I am unable to use spyder. I was able (once!) to get a version (5.x) of spyder up and running, but unfortunately, to do so broke my numpy version and the rollback to a previous version was unsuccessful.

Now, when I clone the default environment, spyder 3.7 is installed (not 5.x) and is not able to connect to the correct interpretter. I have tried setting it manually using the preferences in spyder, but this doesn't work.

I did all of this at the command line prompt. I am trying through the ArcGIS Gui at the moment, but am wondering how I can get spyder up and running. Any help would be appreciated.

8 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

good luck with a clone, if you want to install inthe arcgispro-py3 environment

conda install spyder=5.1.5 --no-pin

numpy is stuck at 1.20 for a variety of reasons and this will carry forward as well, so let it roll back.

You won't be able to update spyder to 5.3.x either since it hasn't been updated in the anaconda site for at least 4 months.  If you need the most recent version of spyder, use one of their installer in a separate environment devoid of arcpy and arcgis.

PS, this is what I used in Pro 2.9.x and it is the same situation for Pro 3.0 betas

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
WadeWall
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, that did not work. It resulted in a lot of version inconsistencies/incompatibilities (too many to list here). I have tried to find out if there is a mismatch between spyder 5.1.5 and python 3.7.11, but can't find any information. I am trying to install spyder in a clone of arcgispro-py3. The behavior of conda when trying to install spyder is different depending on if I attempt to install in arcgispro-py3 or a arcgispro-py3-clone. When installing in arcgispro-py3, conda attempts to downgrade arcgispro to 2.7 (which is what I am trying to avoid), while this doesn't happen with the clone.

I am giving up for now. I have liked spyder in the past, but I got up and running with Visual Studio Code in less than 30 minutes.

0 Kudos
JohnMorgan
Regular Contributor

Hello, I have just updated ArcGIS Pro 3, and it does not appear to be able to install Spyder via the clone method or the command prompt. I am going to roll back to the previous version of ArcGIS and see if that fixes things. 

D

0 Kudos
MariaKrivova
New Contributor

Hi

First, install spyder-kernels (in ArcGIS), then, go to Python Command Prompt and text pip install spyder to your clone environments. 

0 Kudos
DonMorrison1
Frequent Contributor

After a lot of flailing around I was finally able to get Spyder installed with ArcGIS Pro 2.9.  I think these are the steps - my objective was to upgrade from ArcGIS Pro 2.8.3 to 2.9 and get Spyder to use the python modules shipped with 2.9

1. Installed ArcGIS Pro 2.9
  2. Used the ArcGIS Pro Python Package Manager to:
    • Create and activate a clone 'arcgispro29-py3-081522'
    • Restart ArcGIS Pro to make sure the clone is good
    • (I was hoping I could just point my existing Spyder install at the new clone's python.exe but there seems to be a Spyder bug  that prevents this) on to plan B
    • Add package: spyder-kernels
    • Add package: spyder (This ran for a long time but did NOT install spyder - the following steps are plan C)
  3. Opened a DOS window and:
    • cd to the 2.9 conda environment Scripts directory (C:\Users\dmorrison\AppData\Local\ESRI\conda\envs\arcgispro29-py3-081522\Scripts)
    • pip install spyder
  4. Run spyder.exe from the same directory

I took pretty much the entire day to get this to work........not looking forward to the next ArcGIS Pro upgrade

MFiliatree
New Contributor

I tried many things to no avail, but this appears to work! Thanks so much 🙂

0 Kudos
David_Baker_85
New Contributor

Thanks for posting plan C. I created a clone environment and when attempting to install the Spyder package it would fail every time. I open the Python Command Prompt and typed in pip install spyder and it appears to be downloading with all the dependencies. Currently using ArcGIS Pro 3.1.0.

0 Kudos
MZ_GIS
by
New Contributor

Commenting to add that I was having this issue using Package Manager and python command prompt with Pro 3.2 and the patch. Using pip install spyder on the command prompt resolved the issue!

0 Kudos