Select to view content in your preferred language

Impossible to convert XY to Point

Jump to solution
10-23-2023 06:43 AM
Labels (1)
JasonBOCQUET
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Community

I want to convert a table with an X and Y couple who is hosted in a database, but when i try to use the "Display XY Data" tool, i have this error :

JasonBOCQUET_0-1698068453607.png

What does it means ? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Brian_Wilson
Regular Contributor II

Could a special character in the column name throw the SQL error??

I saw that degree marker in there. A cold chill ran down my spine. (Then I realized my windows is open.)

Try a file with safer column names.

View solution in original post

20 Replies
Brian_Wilson
Regular Contributor II

The connection to your database is failing.

First try writing to a shapefile instead of a geodatabase to test the tool then fix your database connection.

You have the ODBC 18 driver installed. If you are using ArcMap that will fail. It won't work with ODBC version > 17.

0 Kudos
JasonBOCQUET

Hi, I'm using ArcGIS Pro

I can connect to my database because i can use the table from my database. It's a SQL database with only table files.

I don't understand your point, can you explain me what I have to do ? 

0 Kudos
Brian_Wilson
Regular Contributor II

You added a table to your map. Then you used Display XY Data by right clicking??

My first thought was that you specified the Output Feature Class wrong. I still suggest you write to a shapefile to test it but I also see another message about "empty_out_bounds" and the error suggests a typo in one of your "field" parameters. Can you take a screenshot of the dialog and post it here? Like this....

Brian_Wilson_1-1698079660374.png

In my simple CSV file test it was able to find the column names on its own, no chance for me to type it wrong.

0 Kudos
JasonBOCQUET

Hi, for the screenshot you ask : 

JasonBOCQUET_0-1698137091398.png

I test with ".shp" in the name on the Output Feature Class, but it change nothing.

Here the error message :

JasonBOCQUET_1-1698137128059.png

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

@JasonBOCQUET - my first question is how are you connecting to your SQL Server database?  Are you suing an OLE DB connection or a database connection to MS SQL Server using this approach?

0 Kudos
JasonBOCQUET

Hi @Robert_LeClair 

I'm connecting to my SQL server following this path :

JasonBOCQUET_2-1698137201661.png

I click on Database > New Database Connexion

Database Platform "SQL Server" and Authentication Type : "Database authentication".

This is not the good way to connect to my database ?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi @JasonBOCQUET - yes, this is the preferred way to connect to an enterprise geodatabase and then creating a *.sde connection file in ArcGIS Pro to see your data.  When you create the *.sde connection file for your eGDB, do you see feature classes, feature datasets and/or more?  Based upon the GP error message, it does seem there is a connection problem.  This tech support article/workflow may assist.

0 Kudos
JasonBOCQUET

I see only table in my SQL database because we host only table with X/Y column in our database.

That's why I have to use the "Display X/Y data" tools.

JasonBOCQUET_1-1698158926742.png

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Thank you the additional information and view of the non-spatial tables.  I do still think there's a connection issue based upon the GP tools error message.  In this table, you can see the SQL Server version and supported SQL Server clients required to make a connection.  What SQL Server version and client version are you using?

0 Kudos