Importing excel maps into ARCGIS

Jump to solution
12-31-2020 09:37 AM
tabithagard
New Contributor

I am trying to create a layered map with marks for the underground facilities. If I plot the points for the map in excel how do I import them into ArcGIS? Is it easier to simply layer them under google earth? Also using the trial version so will I bump into any problems? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

You can work with Excel files in ArcGIS Pro.  Here's a great link on how to get started.  From there, you need to determine if you Excel file has location files such as Latitude/Longitude, Projected Coordinate values or an address.  If so, then you can use the Make XY Event Layer (Data Management) tool for coordinates or Geocode Addresses.  The trial version of AGP will work fine.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

You can work with Excel files in ArcGIS Pro.  Here's a great link on how to get started.  From there, you need to determine if you Excel file has location files such as Latitude/Longitude, Projected Coordinate values or an address.  If so, then you can use the Make XY Event Layer (Data Management) tool for coordinates or Geocode Addresses.  The trial version of AGP will work fine.

KristalWalsh
Frequent Contributor
Hi, the old tried and true way to import an excel table into ArcGIS is to save it as a .csv file with your x and y fields identified in the table. Then when you add data into your ArcGIS product, ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro, you are able to map the x/y in the right order as an event table, save it as a feature class, etc. Latest version of ArcGIS do not require the .csv table and you can add the .xslx right to your TOC and then right-click o the table to map the fields. I don’t do a lot of this work anymore but it’s a pretty standard task to have in your toolbox. 😊 Hope this helps! Kristal
Kristal Walsh, Florida Fish and Wildlife
Office of Conservation Planning