Select to view content in your preferred language

imported csv values converted in null values attribute table

Jump to solution
01-10-2024 06:24 AM
Yach_Eme
New Contributor II

Hello everyone, I`m using ArcGis 10.7 and i have a problem with NULL-Values in a attribute table.

I downloaded a .txt file from the Inet, imported it to Excel and saved it into a .csv to work with it in ArcGis.

I noticed after I opened again the .csv in Excel that Values which weren`t adjusted correctly in the cell (for example they were placed in the middle of an Excel-cell instead at the right) had a NULL-Value in the Attribute table in ArcGIS.

I tried to fix this in EXCEL but my adjustment weren`t safed. I can`t change the formation of the cells! Maybe because it`s originally a .txt file.

Maybe someone has a solution

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ed_
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

There's a tool in ArcMap called `Excel to Table` that accepts MS-Excel Worksheets. Another workaround can also be to copy column E and paste it into a new column as plain values and make sure the data type of the column is numeric and see if that helps.

Question | Analyze | Visualize

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Ed_
MVP Regular Contributor

Can you please share some screen shots of the data in Excel and how it appears in ArcMap? I would also maybe try saving the csv as an xls file and import it to ArcMap and see if that works.  

0 Kudos
Yach_Eme
New Contributor II

Screenshot (24).pngScreenshot (25).png

Thanks for the answer. Here are the screenshots.

ArcMap didn`t accept the xls file. I received a warning message:

The selected data object could not be added to the map
0 Kudos
Ed_
MVP Regular Contributor

There's a tool in ArcMap called `Excel to Table` that accepts MS-Excel Worksheets. Another workaround can also be to copy column E and paste it into a new column as plain values and make sure the data type of the column is numeric and see if that helps.

Yach_Eme
New Contributor II

wow nice, now they`re in!

I didn`t thought aber the other solution. Also great Advice!

Thanks a lot for your help 🙂