Import connections from ArcMap/Catalog

07-17-2015 09:54 AM
AlexBullen1
Occasional Contributor II

Is there any way to import database and server connections into ArcGIS Pro from ArcCatalog or ArcMap?

16 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Database and server connections from ArcGIS Desktop can be used by/in ArcGIS Pro without having to import them.  If you navigate to a folder in the Project pane that has existing database or server connections, you can just click on them to connect and add data.  If you want to include an existing database or server connection in an ArcGIS Pro project, you can just copy and paste the existing file into the root level of the project folder for that project.

AlexBullen1

I'm only seeing the option to add new connections, and have successfully connected to one of my databases. I was hopeful there was a way to batch export all my connections from ArcMap and import them into ArcGIS Pro, to make a smoother transition to the new PRO platform.

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Please check the below Threads:

ArcGIS Pro Database Connections Folder - Organization

Accessing existing .sde and .ags Connection Files in ArcGIS Pro  (This should give you the desired answer)

0 Kudos
AlexBullen1

Unfortunately I don't work with .sde connection files, only IP addresses/logins/passwords. From those threads it looks like I need to somehow create those connection files for each of my database and server connections, create a folder, put my connection files in that folder, and then connect to that folder. Creating .sde connection files is tricky, even with the tool. This seems like a lot of steps for something that just *works* in ArcMap, especially since we can't yet drag-and-drop data from Catalog or ArcMap into Pro. Or am I missing something?

Honestly at this point it is easier and less time-consuming to simply connect to the databases I need in every separate project - or just keep working in ArcMap & Catalog until I need PRO's functionality (i.e. attachments are much simpler in PRO than in ArcMap). Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

You are actually creating new *.sde connection files, everytime you create a new connection to any database using the IP Addresses\logins\passwords in ArcGIS Desktop. By default, the connection files are created in the below location:

C:\Users\%user_profile%\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.x\ArcCatalog (The AppData folder is hidden by default)

So, you just need to make a Folder Connection in ArcGIS Pro to the above folder and should see all your connections there. Then you can Right-click on these connections and add to the required Project.

** Yes, you are right, data cannot be dragged and dropped from ArcGIS Desktop into ArcGIS Pro. And I doubt this will ever happen as these are two different applications

AlexBullen1

I see these .sde files in Windows Explorer. I have added a folder connection to this folder within PRO. However when I navigate to the folder in "Add Data", nothing shows up for me to "Add to Project" and use, even when I toggle through all the file types.

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

So, you just need to make a Folder Connection in ArcGIS Pro to the above folder and should see all your connections there. Then you can Right-click on these connections and add to the required Project.

Try the above

0 Kudos
AlexBullen1

folderconnection.png

That's what I did, I think. See photo. I'm connected to the folder but see none of the .sde connections contained within (verified their presence in Windows Explorer)

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Click on Databases, just above 'Folders' in the Add Data window..

0 Kudos