Image Transparency Issue While Exporting To PDF - ArcGIS Pro

09-26-2017 08:03 AM
SeanFadum1
New Contributor III

Hi,

When I apply a transparency to a raster image (ie. an airphoto) and export my layout in ArcGIS Pro to PDF, strange lines appear in the image (almost like the software is tiling it).  If I remove the transparency, then the export is fine. I have tried adjusting the DPI during the export and printing directly to PDF, with no luck.

Has anyone else had this issue... and if so is there a fix?  I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.0.1.

Thanks,

Sean

Tags (1)
82 Replies
Wayne_Rennick
New Contributor III

Workarounds are fine when a problem comes up and you have a deadline. But once we (the GIS community) identify a problem and notify ESRI about the issue it needs to be addressed in a timely manner. (this topic has now been up for 6-years)

I guess we should thank ESRI for having such a buggy product. If it "just worked" monkeys (or AI) could do it.

Many years ago, ESRI removed a tool from a new version of ArcMap and replaced it with another one (I think it was the interactive clip tool). The new tool didn't work the same way as the old one and it put a dent in my workflow. When I contacted support and demonstrated the issue, the ESRI employee showed me how to cover the line feature I was trying to clip with a white graphic polygon to cover the area I wanted to remove. It was shocking that the solution was to "cover it up" with a graphic. And it only worked if there was a white background. It turned out that the tool wasn't removed entirely, and you could go into the Advanced Setting GUI and turn it back on, but that wasn't well documented and only told to people when they threw a fit. I guess my point is that ESRI isn't that focused on customer service. 

0 Kudos
GISAdminSHN
New Contributor III

Another option, at the bottom of the General menu in a layer's properties there is a checkbox for "Rasterize layer in exported file". I have tested this and the result is similar/identical, zero-width tile borders visible in the export. The imagery shows in the exported PDF as a single layer with "(Rasterized)" appended to it's layer name, but when you start a PDF edit session in Acrobat I can see that the image layer is still preserved as separate tiles within the layer. Perhaps the code behind this checkbox for rasterizing could be upgraded to intercept and merge those tiles before inclusion in the output?

GISAdminSHN_0-1714766371702.png

MikeBuscher
New Contributor III

ArcGIS Pro 3.3.0 confirmed still having this issue unless I output as an image.  I added the PDF export to a map using the new georeferenced PDF functionality and the georeferenced rasterized image layer that ArcGIS Pro created also had the line artifacts from the original PDF.    

0 Kudos