Image Transparency Issue While Exporting To PDF - ArcGIS Pro

09-26-2017 08:03 AM
SeanFadum1
New Contributor III

Hi,

When I apply a transparency to a raster image (ie. an airphoto) and export my layout in ArcGIS Pro to PDF, strange lines appear in the image (almost like the software is tiling it).  If I remove the transparency, then the export is fine. I have tried adjusting the DPI during the export and printing directly to PDF, with no luck.

Has anyone else had this issue... and if so is there a fix?  I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.0.1.

Thanks,

Sean

Tags (1)
75 Replies
MikeBuscher
New Contributor II

This works for a single group, but not for multiple groups (such as for different transparencies). It also creates a situation where the desired transparency is not reflected in the legend symbol, so additional workaround of adding a separate but unchecked layer with desired transparency to the legend.

christinebrooks
New Contributor II

You legend! I have been going mad for the last 2 days, thank you so much! ESRI you should really include this work around instructions in your issue report here and here please!:

Problem: Grid Lines Display in PDFs Exported from ArcGIS Pro (esri.com)
BUG-000137038 for ArcGIS Pro (esri.com)

0 Kudos
jpgrana
New Contributor

This solution worked well for me...thanks for posting!

JoeBryant1
Occasional Contributor III

It's the end of 2023... any update on this from Adobe? Should we assume that exporting PDFs will always be an issue in ArcGIS Pro?

JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

@JoeBryant1 UPDATE: we have worked with Adobe and also determined that a specific setting in Acrobat causes the display artifacts.  One workaround we know of at this time is to have the user uncheck this option.  Please see https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/problem-grid-lines-display-in-pdfs-exported-from-arcgi...

0 Kudos
Wayne_Rennick
New Contributor III

I see the artifacts in viewers other than Acrobat (we use PDF-XChange, but it also occurs viewing the pdfs in Chrome and Edge), so this is not an Adobe issue. There is a setting in PDF-XChange to "Enhance think lines" but having it checked or unchecked does not do anything to remove the white lines.  
ESRIs work arounds are not solutions, exporting a map to an image format instead of a pdf, is like downgrading from a sports car to roller-skates. 
Time to fix the problem and not point fingers.

(The real frustration is that this problem has existed since at least 2017 and it's not fixed)