Image Transparency Issue While Exporting To PDF - ArcGIS Pro

09-26-2017 08:03 AM
SeanFadum1
New Contributor III

Hi,

When I apply a transparency to a raster image (ie. an airphoto) and export my layout in ArcGIS Pro to PDF, strange lines appear in the image (almost like the software is tiling it).  If I remove the transparency, then the export is fine. I have tried adjusting the DPI during the export and printing directly to PDF, with no luck.

Has anyone else had this issue... and if so is there a fix?  I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.0.1.

Thanks,

Sean

Tags (1)
75 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

The ArcGIS Pro development team investigated this issue and it looks like the underlying problem is not able to be addressed in our code: https://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/QlVHLTAwMDA5NTc2NQ==

0 Kudos
BlairDeaver3
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Kory for the explanation.  Can you and the engineering team elaborate on why this issue does not occur in Desktop but does in Pro?  Thanks.

AZendel
Occasional Contributor III

Or why It's occurring in Chrome as well.  Apparently, Chrome uses its own PDF rendering engine

Or why in the Adobe Forum post, an Adobe staffer said, "Credit the problem to improper PDF file creation." However, it sounds like some discussion happened offline and maybe the Adobe staff later concluded that it's a problem with their software.

Or if Adobe mentioned anything about fixing this problem?  And on what time frame?

Or what they plan to do about the rendering problem in Chrome? Chrome is by far the most used browser these days.

Not being able to publish a map as a PDF file is a pretty big stumbling block.

JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

ArcGIS Desktop did not natively support transparency in PDF exports - all of the layers that had alpha were flattened and rasterized together into a single image with no alpha included.

Pro now allows for native support of transparency for both raster and vector features, and that's why this issue is visible in Pro exports and not in Desktop exports.

We did not receive an ETA from Adobe on a fix, but they did give us an internal tracking number which we will use to follow up on the issue with them.

BlairDeaver3
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Jeremy for the clarification!

BlairDeaver3
Occasional Contributor

Esri/Kory - I realize that this is marked as an Adobe bug but is there anything you (Esri) can do to nudge Adobe on this one?  Based on the forum listed in the bug report there is little recent activity: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2598542  (It also seems to be a closed/invite forum).  Sorry to be a pain - but this is the only blocker limiting our team from moving to Pro.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Blair,

Let me ask my developer (who was the one in contact with Adobe) to inquire again.

J

MarcelSt-Germain

Adobe can be a pain in the ask but, transparency could be a problem but, without any transparency or picture, adobe can't read Arcgis pro directly (at least with win7 export)

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Marcel,

Can you please clarify your statement above?  are you reporting that Adobe Acrobat can't open exports from ArcGIS Pro if there is no transparency?

Regards,

Jeremy W.

0 Kudos
MarcelSt-Germain

No, exporting project with or without transparency, for me anyway, can't be read with acrobat.  The same project in arcmap is ok but if I import it and export from Pro, Acrobat can't read it.  I open it in sumatra without problems, print with pdf creator, and after that acrobat can read it.  Haven't try to print directly, with creator, in place of export.

0 Kudos