Select to view content in your preferred language

Image Tile Key

08-02-2023 02:02 PM
Labels (1)
warrenroberts
Occasional Contributor III

OK, I know this can be done but of course. When originally did the step I thought, that was easy.  However this aging prof didnt note the steps. 

Here is the scenario .. i have 2000 image tiles (output from pix4d).  The objective is to have an output vector layer "image tile key", the input would be the many image tiles.  This would then enable a CAD to identify what image tiles to bring into CAD rather than choke on a 30 Gig orthomosaic.

3 Replies
mrmark
by
Occasional Contributor

Assuming you have your image tiles in an actual mosaic dataset, just use the Build Footprints tool.

That said, when you create and then populate your mosaic dataset it creates a boundary and footprint layer. You'll want to use the "geometry" option in the build footprints tool based on what you're asking for. 

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/build-footprints.htm

A man's feet should be planted in his country, but his eyes should survey the world. - G. Santayana
gisteacher
New Contributor II

Hi Mark, i went ahead and made the image mosaic for back up until I determine if there was an easier way or perhaps i forgot I indeed did make an image mosaic 😕  .. here is what I did.

0 Kudos
gisteacher
New Contributor II

Thanks Mark, unfortunately it is not (and was not when i originaly created the image (footprint) grid of 2000+ images.  Pix4D provides the orthomosaic (not an image / mosaic dataset) along with the images used to make the mosaic.  When I originally used the tool (again I forget what tool) I simply pointed to the folder of the tiles an dit make a vector layer of polygon features in the layer each containing the image file name.  No darn if I can remember what tool i used.  The ortho is over 2000 image tiles and prefer not to make 30 gig image dataset especially when I didnt create one before and was successful 😕 .. will make a youtube post once i figure out the steps so I dont forget next time.

The main reason I am doing this is for the CAD user unable to bring in large orthos (CAD can't tile locally) and the image grid is the key to what tile to bring in

0 Kudos