Select to view content in your preferred language

Spatial join features using intersect and specifying a tolerance for the amount of overlap?

04-10-2023 10:35 AM
Labels (1)
qvt282
by
New Contributor

Hi there, is it possible to spatial join features using intersect and specifying a tolerance for the amount of overlap? I have two large polygon featureclasses, and I want to join them using intersect, but to specify a certain overlap tolerance so that if one polygon intersects a feature by only a certain amount, it is not included. 

See the diagram attached; in this scenario, the polygon feature in red intersects both polygon A and polygon B. But because the intersection with polygon A is minimal (within some overlap tolerance), I want it to be excluded from a join. 

Is this possible? 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

No. 

Spatial Join (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

If there were multiple candidates, "largest overlap" might do it.  But if there were only one, and it appeared as in your picture, then you would have to determine what intersection area or edge to edge distance would be needed, then remove it from your results.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
qvt282
by
New Contributor

Hmm, it does seem a bit of a bummer, given that I have two datasets where there is just the tiniest bit of misalignment due to some sloppy drafting, but resulting in spatial joins that are a bit inaccurate. 

0 Kudos
KristinThorpe1
Regular Contributor

Did you find a solution? I managed to do something similar in a Spatial Join with the Match Option set to "Within a distance" and the Search Radius set to -1 Meters. I don't think my Target features overlap like your Polygon A and Polygon B do, but maybe you can use the Search Radius as your overlap tolerance? This seems to work like the Match Option Intersect would, but without joining adjacent properties that might share a boundary.

0 Kudos