Identity/Intersect tools

Jump to solution
02-02-2022 07:56 AM
BenBennetts
New Contributor II

Hi

New user here, struggling to understand the Help pages.

I have a point dataset containing 16,158 records and a polygon dataset with 14 records.  All points are contained within a polygon.

I'm trying to add the name of the relevant polygon to each record in the point dataset. I've tried using both the Identity tool and the Intersect tool, but they have only returned a small subset of the point dataset (1,568 records - identical results from both queries).

Using ArcGIS Pro 2.9.0 on my desktop.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The INTERSECT tool should have worked as well. Please ensure there are NO selected points/polygons while running the Intersect tool.

If the issue persists, run Multipart To Singlepart (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation on the Polygon layer, then execute the INTERSECT tool.

Think Location

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Spatial joins by feature type—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Spatial Join (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

spatially join the polygon to the points or explore intersect changing the order of the inputs  (polygons can completely contain a point and the converse, a point can be completely within a polygon.

Get used to the types of spatial relationships sometimes it is the order of the inputs and/or the keywords that are important

Spatial relationships by feature type—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Select By Location graphic examples—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

are both useful guides as well

... sort of retired...
BenBennetts
New Contributor II

Many thanks for this Dan - helpful re the difference between Intersect and Identity - but doesn't answer the question about how to get results for all 16,158 records rather than just 1,568 of them.

For clarity ( I hope) please see attached image - polygon layer in blue, original point dataset in white, subset of point dataset with polygon features attributed is in red.  I need to return the polygon attribute for all 15k points.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for sharing the image.

A polygon feature part is selected. Please deselect the polygon (Clear Selection) before running the INTERSECT tool.

Think Location
0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The INTERSECT tool should have worked as well. Please ensure there are NO selected points/polygons while running the Intersect tool.

If the issue persists, run Multipart To Singlepart (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation on the Polygon layer, then execute the INTERSECT tool.

Think Location
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I agree with Jayanta, ensure that you are working with singlepart shapes and prior selections don't exist.

Otherwise try a Select By Location using Within (eg. Points within Polygon ) and they should all be selected.

And a bug of mine... you are working in the same coordinate system for both inputs?

... sort of retired...
BenBennetts
New Contributor II

Many thanks to you both.  Both datasets had multipart features.

0 Kudos