Select to view content in your preferred language

How to use Web Maps for analysis (specifically MaxEnt)

12-14-2023 02:42 AM
Mariboharibo
New Contributor

Hi,

When I convert a Web Map into a format I can use it loses as it's data.

I need certain enviromental data to use in MaxEnt but both the MaxEnt program itself and the tool available on ArcGIS require certain formats. MaxEnt requires ASCII and ArcGIS raster data.

I currently convert the web map using Share >  share web map > to GeoTIFF > then use RSTUDIO to resize to the right extent. OR data >export raster. But both of these methods make the web map lose its attribute table and both programs are unable to use them.

How can I convert a web map properly so I can use them  for analysis?

If this is not possible where else can I gain enviromental data for analysis? (I need the entire map of Europe)

Kind regards,

Marieke

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
DornMooreICF
Emerging Contributor

From my experience with Maxent, you'll need to convert the raster layers from most sources. I'm not sure if you can get the data in a good format from the shared map layers export process you are attempting. I would suggest seeing if the host with layers has other ways to download the original data.  From there you should be able to convert formats. If you are looking for fast conversion of large Data sets OGR is a great option. It is super fast. 

0 Kudos