How to summarize nominal point data within polygons

11-07-2022 06:35 AM
AmberMillison
New Contributor III

I have a polygon layer within which I want to tabulate nominal statistics about a point layer. I want to know: within each polygon, the count of points for each unique field value for a series of nominal fields. For example, the point layer will have a field where each feature is assigned a value of Yes or No (Y or N). Within each polygon, I want to count the number of points with a field value Y and the number with a field value of N. So far I started by completing a one-to-many spatial join so that a polygon is duplicated for each point within it, then tried running one of several summarizing tools with the polygon ID as the case field. From what I can tell, most of the summary statistics tools seem to only have the option to count the number of unique values, but this doesn't tell me the count of point features for each unique field value. I understand that the example of a nominal field I used is binary - I know that I can just convert this to 2 integer fields (representing Y and N) with values of 1 or 0 and perform a summary statistics option with the Count method. However, I have a lot of nominal fields and not all of them are binary, so I'm hoping there is an easier way than having to create a new field for each unique nominal field value I have. I'm sorry if I didn't do the best at explaining this, but if anyone has any good tools or tricks for quickly tabulating this type of nominal information, it would be greatly appreciated! 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AdrianaAbramovich
New Contributor II

Proceed with a spatial join between the polygons and points layer, then summarize how many Y or N per polygon ID. 

0 Kudos