How to speed up ArcGIS Pro?

12-22-2020 04:01 AM
Labels (1)
treistadbakk
New Contributor II

I have read a lot about users struggling with ArcGIS Pro being very, very slow. For two years I have been hoping this is just temporarily. Even on small datasets stored locally, a simple command like "merge" (polygons), "clear" (selection) or "save "edits" may take 2 or 3 minutes. And the program freezes between these commands. ArcGIS Pro is really a drag and something I really avoid when I can. I usually have a an ArcMap mxd-document "on the side" to perform certain tasks because ArcGIS Pro treats even the simplest task as something heavy and complicated. Merging two polygons takes half a second in ArcMap, but ages and ages i ArcGIS Pro. The developers have really done a lousy job here, and the software should have been tested  and improved before rolled out. 

6 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

What version of Pro are you working with as ESRI has now rolled out Pro 2.7?

0 Kudos
treistadbakk
New Contributor II

2.6.3 at the time. Updating now 🙂

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What are your computer specs as reported from the link on this page that tests your computer's ability to run it

ArcGIS Pro 2.7 system requirements—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

I have been on every beta for Pro and never experience any of these slowness issues, particularly when doing geoprocessing.  But I only work with locally stored data in file geodatabases.  I routinely delete and clean out my gdbs and scratch gdbs.  Deleting my geoprocessing history is done daily. I don't keep a bunch of useless maps around, I dont use basemaps .  Lots of flotsom can slow down a project, so you will have to describe your situation.

... sort of retired...
treistadbakk
New Contributor II

Thank you so much for your reply and useful inputs.

My Dell PC is an i7-8850H CPU @2.59 GHz, 32 GB RAM, Win10(64-bit). Should be OK?

I've never deleted geoprocessing history or performed any gdb clean. If that really slows down ArcGIS Pro, ESRI should be informed so they can removed that bug. But I'll try to follow that advice!

Working without basemaps doesn't sound to be a good solution, not to me. The maps have to be presented, and working with planning I really need to know where I am on the map to know what I am doing. Maybe you have two project files? One for geoprocessing and one with maps for presentation?

Of course I don't "keep a bunch of useless maps around" 🙂 The maps and datasets I import, generate and use are there for a reason. I really think that ArcGIS Pro should be able to perform geoprocessing/editing even if there are other datasets loaded into the project. Like good old ArcMap can.

DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

specs should be Ok. but you need to run the link in the link I posted to get a comparison on how your machine stacks up.  

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
TamsenWaldron
New Contributor II

I still have these issues and I'm running the newest version of pro and have a very fast machine.  I still like ArcMap way better.

0 Kudos