how to reconnect layers

05-05-2016 05:46 AM
AlexanderGray
Occasional Contributor III

If I leave ArcGIS Pro open over night, my oracle geodatabase connection time out and are broken the next day.  I don't get an error (arcmap gives you the cannot draw popup.)  The layers don't appear broken but the data is inaccessible.  Trying to change the source doesn't work, the database connection does not open.  Closing pro and reopening was the only fix.

5 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Alexander,

I seem to find that closing and re-opening Pro fixes a lot of problems, so this may be the only 'fix' until a new release. For me, this has solved joins, spatial joins, dealing with field names, publishing services, etc. Without closing and re-opening Pro, I would not have been able to fix this issues, unfortunately....

0 Kudos
AlexanderGray

I think you are right.  I suspect the disconnect is because of the database but I was hoping it could reconnect.  ArcMap does the same thing but it throws an error, I pro it just reads from cache and after the cache attempts to refresh, it looks like the layer is empty.  In this case a warning something is wrong is actually better.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

I agree that having a warning would be nice. Hopefully Pro 1.3 will have more and more bugs worked out!

0 Kudos
AlexanderGray

Better yet, detect broken connection and reinitialize it...

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I agree the situation is less than ideal, and a fix would be great, but sometimes Esri uses a meat clever instead of a scalpel.  A 'smart' reinitializing would be great, but I could see the outcome just being constant reinitializing regardless of broken connections.  Time will tell... if they decide to fix it.

0 Kudos