Select to view content in your preferred language

How to place points along lines at intervals that vary within a range based on a suitability layer?

03-03-2023 03:33 PM
quillaja
Occasional Contributor

I'm looking for a tool or simple workflow (or some just some ideas) that can place points along lines such that the points are usually regularly spaced but the distance between points can vary if a point can move "a little" to get into a "good" spot according to a suitability raster. That's a mouthful.

More specifically, I have a network of paths between sites. I would like to place points (waystations) at a minimum interval of 10 miles and a maximum interval of 20 miles. A suitability raster contains info about how good/bad the terrain is for a waystation. If, for example, a waystation were to be placed at 10 miles distant from the previous waystation, but could be in better terrain by being placed at 14 miles from the previous, then it would be placed at the 14 mile point. This process would continue until the end of the path is reached.

I'm using ArcGIS Pro 3. I can do some python programming, though I'm not very familiar with arcpy yet. I could write a program to do what I need, but flat-out bypassing ArcGIS and writing a lot of custom code/tooling is beyond the scope of this project.

Cross-posted on stackexchange.

0 Kudos
0 Replies