How to merge intersecting line segments

Jump to solution
06-10-2021 07:03 AM
Mikis
by
New Contributor II

Hi All,

I am looking for a method to merge intersecting line segments over a large dataset. In figure 1, I used the method by first selecting individual line segments, followed by the tool merge (in the edit toolbar). This 'manual' approach is very time consuming and I guess a more automated approach would speed things up.

The first approach I was thinking about was using the dissolve tool. However, if I check 'Create multipart feature', all my segments are dissolved into one feature, see fig 2. And if I leave the 'Create multipart feature' unchecked, only the overlapping features are merged, but not the intersecting (tributary) lines. I also tried checking the 'Unsplit lines' box without success. Does anyone here have a recommendation?

Mikis_0-1623332785126.png

fig 1, manual approach by selecting the polygons, then use merge in the editor toolbar. 

Mikis_1-1623332856536.png

fig 2 dissolve with 'Create multipart feature' checked 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
ChadRamos95
New Contributor

For those of you still finding this in 2024 or later, I turned this solution into a script tool.  You can download the script or the toolbox at https://github.com/cramos95/Merge_Intersecting_Lines/tree/main.  Thank you to JayantaPoddar for the solution. 

0 Kudos