Select to view content in your preferred language

How to make the Reshape Tool always choose the larger polygon?

07-04-2024 10:59 AM
JohnFaab01
New Contributor II

Hello I am using ArcGIS Pro 3.2.2 and having issues with the Reshape tool. I have to reshape sections of large polygons to match smoothed curves. Sometimes this works as expected, but there are certain curves where if I use the Reshape tool it will shrink the polygon dramatically. I have "Choose result on finish" selected but it does not give me options when this happens. The layer is not being projected on the fly.

For a scale of the issue, I am currently working on a 182-acre polygon. I trace an 87 foot long segment to reshape and it collapses the polygon down to a 269 square foot polygon that aligns with the traced curve.

How can I make ArcGIS expand my polygon, not shrink it?

Thank you for any advice!

(The first image is what I am trying to do. The second is the result ArcGIS is giving me using the Reshape tool.)

start.JPGOutput.JPG

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

check your settings

Reshape feature geometry—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

see # 4.

Note:
If this setting is not checked, the tool keeps the shape containing the largest area.

... sort of retired...
JohnFaab01
New Contributor II

Thank you for your reply. I do have "Choose result on finish" selected, but it does not always give me the option to choose a result.

0 Kudos
JMutunga
Esri Contributor

@JohnFaab01  With the 'Choose result on finish' option checked, you should be able to see a dashed-grey line over the two parts of the feature you are reshaping (see GIF). For your case, once this dashed line appears, move your cursor over to the larger portion of the polygon then click once to apply the edit i.e. to choose the larger portion as the result to keep. As @DanPatterson pointed out, when 'Choose result on finish' is checked, you have to make the decision yourself which part to keep when reshaping, otherwise uncheck the option to always keep the large portion when reshaping. 

Here are some high level steps for the workflow:

1. Select the polygon to reshape and open Reshape tool. make sure 'Choose result on finish option is checked.

2. Trace the (line) feature you would like to use to Reshape

3. On the Editing toolbar at the bottom of the map, click Finish (I recommend this option over double-clicking in space to avoid applying the edit inadvertently). Dashed lines should appear indicating the options to choose to finish your reshape operation with. Move the cursor between one of the smaller parts and the other single large part  and note how the dashed line moves over based on where the cursor is.

4. Make sure your cursor is on the large polygon shape and then click once to complete the reshape operation. 

I hope this helps. 

ReshapePart.gif

JohnFaab01
New Contributor II

Thank you for your reply. I do have "Choose result on finish" selected, but it does not always give me the option to choose a result. I haven't noticed any patterns as far as when it actually lets me choose when reshaping. Sometimes it works as described, other times it automatically makes a selection. I have made sure that I'm not clicking too fast and accidentally choosing. It still happens even when I use F2 to finish drawing.

0 Kudos
JenniferCadkin
Esri Contributor

@JohnFaab01  Can you share a screenshot(s) of your reshape sketch?  

In this case, the reshape active select tool may be the active tool rather than the reshape edit tool

> Sometimes it works as described, other times it automatically makes a selection.

0 Kudos
JenniferCadkin
Esri Contributor

@JohnFaab01 Another tool that could work in this scenario is the Align Edge with Map Topology enabled.  https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/editing/align-topology-edges.htm 

0 Kudos