How to display 3D point depth data in ArcGIS Pro?

Jump to solution
09-13-2022 02:21 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello all, I am working with ocean collection data (latitude, longitude, depth) and I want to show the depth of each recorded sample but I can´t display it in ArcGIS Pro correctly. I created a new local scene, went to the feature layer's properties to the Elevation tab and set the "Features are:  Relative to the Ground." But yet, the points still appear above sea level.  I cannot seem to locate the  "Navigate Underground" button anywhere.  Attached is an image of how my data looks in the local Scene of ArcPro. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnWatt
Occasional Contributor

Hi Mina.  I notice your dataset has a _neg suffix - are the values in the table negative?  If so, you could set the layer to draw features 'at an absolute height' and then specify the depth field. (or if positive, could set an expression to subtract the positive value from zero - so no need to change the table)  The second step is to allow below-ground-navigation, which is a bit hidden.  Select the 'ground' layer, which should reveal an Elevation Surface Appearance context menu at the top - navigate underground is a check box there.

JohnWatt_0-1663107902550.png

JohnWatt_1-1663108126614.png

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JohnWatt
Occasional Contributor

Hi Mina.  I notice your dataset has a _neg suffix - are the values in the table negative?  If so, you could set the layer to draw features 'at an absolute height' and then specify the depth field. (or if positive, could set an expression to subtract the positive value from zero - so no need to change the table)  The second step is to allow below-ground-navigation, which is a bit hidden.  Select the 'ground' layer, which should reveal an Elevation Surface Appearance context menu at the top - navigate underground is a check box there.

JohnWatt_0-1663107902550.png

JohnWatt_1-1663108126614.png

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi John,

Yes, correct - I had made the depth units negative as they were originally positive. Your advice did the trick. Thanks a ton!

0 Kudos
DawnDrake
New Contributor II

My student seems to have done all of these things and while we are able to model the depth below ground, when you look at the model in transect, the depths are all off by the approximately our elevation.  For instance, the first pond is about 2.9 meters deep, but it shows as 950 meters deep and our elevation is about 947 meters.  I am sure this is something so obvious, but I am not thinking of it.  

Also I am sorry I do not have a screen shot.  I do not have that part of the project handy, but can get it, if you need it.

0 Kudos
JohnWatt
Occasional Contributor

Hi Dawn. Whereas Mina was extruding downward to an absolute depth below 'zero' or sea level, it sounds like you might want to extrude downward from a much higher ground level given by an elevation surface. If your pond depth is in a field for example, change the extrusion type to "Base Height", and set the Field to your pond depth field.  If the values in there are positive (eg "2.9"), you will just need to subtract from zero to go down instead of up:

JohnWatt_1-1680497573885.png

0 Kudos
DawnDrake
New Contributor II
Thank you! I will forward this info to my student!
0 Kudos