How to delete vertices from a line when inside a selecting polygon

01-24-2022 06:11 PM
Labels (2)
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Brains Trust. I'm doing some cleanup work on a road network to make it suitable for Network Analysis, and have come across the following issue. One of the steps I have is usin the Integrate tool to align spatially different datasets. Unfortunately, a side effect of this is that lines passing across each other which normally don't intersect (as in no co-located vertices which Network Analyst uses to permit turns) now do. I've identified a lot of overpass/underpass areas which need to have these no-turn intersections cleaned, but can't find a way to bulk delete vertices when identified by an intersecting polygon. Any ideas out there on how to achieve this?

Below screenshot shows where a route turns off a bridge instead of following along the off ramp. 

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA_0-1643076407010.png

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
Forest Products Commission WA
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Erase Point (Editing)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

assuming you aren't talking about manual editing

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

Close! Yes, I'm not talking manually - that I have well and truly sorted. Trying to automate/script a faster solution for preidentified "issue" intersections. 

The Erase Point tool is almost what I need, except I want vertices on a line - not standalone point features. 

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
0 Kudos
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

I've just found this post (https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/227268/delete-line-vertex-from-polyline-layer-using-point-fe...) that leads me to the Feature Vertices to Points tool, which might have been helpful in a larger convert, select, rebuild process, but I don't have access to an Advanced licence (only Standard). 

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
0 Kudos
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

Also just found this (https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/227115/remove-polyline-vertex-outside-polygon-in-arcpy) from 5 years ago so will see if I can make it work. I've got a trial of XTools Pro which gives me the Line to Point option, so at least I have something to play with.

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
0 Kudos