How to copy/paste values from Excel column into ArcGIS Pro attribute table field?

Jump to solution
04-23-2019 10:03 AM
AndySiegel
New Contributor III

In ArcMap (10.6.1), I am able to copy/paste values from Excel column into attribute table field. I select the first cell in attribute table, then paste and the values populate for all the records below. See example:

I can't figure out how to do this in ArcGIS Pro. Does anyone know how to do this or if it is even possible? Thanks for any help you can provide!

Andy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

https://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/QlVHLTAwMDExMTU5NQ==

Here is a daily build of 2.4:

We should see 2.4 generally available in June/July this year.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

'Smear' the value in Excel Cntrl C and Cntrl V into the table. If you're going to do bulk copy and paste, I suggest converting the Excel worksheet to a table.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
AndySiegel
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply! What do you mean by smear in Excel? Also, it seems Ctrl C / Ctrl V doesn't work the same way for pasting data into ArcGIS Pro table. When the table is editable, it seems that only a single record can be edited (designated by the green background and pencil symbol). 

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

It's a one at a time sort of thing.  That's why I suggest to turn the Excel into a table.  None the less, the gif below shows how I did it.  You just don't see the Cntrl C and Cntrl V....

0 Kudos
AndySiegel
New Contributor III

Glad the fix is coming in 2.4! Thanks for helping look into the issue.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

https://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/QlVHLTAwMDExMTU5NQ==

Here is a daily build of 2.4:

We should see 2.4 generally available in June/July this year.

AndySiegel
New Contributor III

Awesome! Thanks Kory. Looking forward to 2.4  

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Good to know @Kory_Kramer.  That sounds like a great fix.

MichaelAugust
Occasional Contributor III

I am getting an extra NULL pasted and a new row created in my Pro att table when for example I grab five cells from a column in Excel, then paste to my field/column in ArcGIS Pro, Pro will literally create a new row(or point feature), all fields NULL, as if there were six cells coming from Excel instead of the 5 I selected. It's as if Pro is just always tacking on one additional NULL cell to the bottom of my Excel selection. I can repeat it all day and haven't figured out how to copy/paste correctly...

Wondering if anyone knows what I'm doing wrong, or if they've seen the same?

additionally if I paste these five values copied from Excel into a populated att table in Pro, that 6th mystery/unwanted NULL will overwrite existing data in that 6th row/point feature with NULL

0 Kudos