How to copy/paste geometry from CAD

12-01-2017 07:52 AM
VicenteSolis
New Contributor

I'm an avid user of ArcMap 10.5 and trying to migrate on over to Pro little by little.  I work for an engineering firm so we mainly use CAD software, but have been using more GIS.  One gripe I have so far is copying geometry from CAD on over to a feature class.  I've researched this and read another post here about a similar issue, but it was from feature class to feature class, not CAD geometry.

In 10.5, I setup my geodatabase and add the layers to my exhibit.  Then I add the CAD file to the same exhibit and apply a transformation if needed (this is a whole other issue, don't know where to apply a scale factor anymore).  I copy a polygon from the CAD file, click paste, and it asks me where I want to paste it.  Easy stuff!  Now in Pro, I do the exact same process using both Paste or Paste Special and it gives me an error. 

I know I could use CAD tools and copy to the geodatabase, but do not want that.  Is there something I'm missing to copy/paste just the geometry from CAD files to a GIS feature class? 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

from a recent thread... copy and paste special is suggested for fc to fc...

If neither works, then the error message is the key

0 Kudos
VicenteSolis
New Contributor

The error it gives is that there are no appropriate templates. 

One thing the other post said is to make sure all files are editable.  They are all checked off as editable, but the CAD file has the red exclamation mark by it saying it cannot be edited.  This makes sense considering its a CAD file referenced into GIS. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I am guessing wildly that the preferred method (now?) is to convert first, then edit/copy/whatever from a geodatabase featureclass.  Perhaps this just offers more control over the geometry conversion. 

Of course, it you think it is something that worked in ArcMap and should be available in Pro and there is no workaround., then you might want to check https://community.esri.com/community/arcgis-ideas?sr=search&searchId=3bc0406f-8d4b-437a-b263-87c3294...‌ to see if there are associate threads there.

0 Kudos
VicenteSolis
New Contributor

I'll look into that.  If it is considered the preferred method now though, that's a bummer! 

0 Kudos
SamanthaGoodchild-Brown
New Contributor III

Hi

I can't offer anything different except that I believe there are tools still being building into PRO, so maybe that is one of them. I am waiting for tools myself.... hopefully its just patience that we need for now.

0 Kudos