How to change the output feature class

Jump to solution
03-09-2023 08:05 AM
Labels (3)
Mikhail
Occasional Contributor

I have two shapefiles, one is polygons, representing geographic areas, and the other is the road network. I want to use Summarize Within tool to summarize the total mileage of roads by the polygon. As soon as I select the layers  in the tool's menu, the system automatically creates a name for the output file with the extension of 'shp'. See the picture attached. It also shows an error message: Error 003396 Tool output can only be written to a filegeodatabase(.gdb), datastore (.sde), or in_memory. The problem is that I can not change it! I type in another name like output.gdb and press enter, but the system ignores this. Could you suggest a way to deal with this issue?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

click on the folder icon to the right of the Output featureclass line

navigate to a geodatabase and select it

enter a name without a file extension.  

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

click on the folder icon to the right of the Output featureclass line

navigate to a geodatabase and select it

enter a name without a file extension.  

... sort of retired...
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

One thing I see that will prevent the tool from working properly is you have pending edits.  Click the save icon top of the tool and try to run it again.  Dan is right on clicking the folder on the right and defining either a geodatabase as the container for the feature class or a folder for the shapefile.

Mikhail
Occasional Contributor

Great, thanks! Problem solved.

0 Kudos
AnnaBartnik
New Contributor II

I am running into the same error:

3.JPG

Ive tried opening the folder icon deleting "shp" and choosing GDB but the only option is feature classes. As soon as I select that (because its my only option) it populates as shp again... not sure what the work around is here.2.JPG^ i drew gbd but meant to write gdb

1.JPG

Thanks for any other tips

0 Kudos
AnnaBartnik
New Contributor II

The only solution I've found to this so far was courtesy of this Reddit page : https://www.reddit.com/r/ArcGIS/comments/v93yaz/comment/ibua2tq/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web3x&u...

"I just dealt with this error. This tool is super sensitive to filename and filepath length. I was able to fix it (most of the time) by creating a gdb right in my C:/ folder and pointing the output there. Use a one letter filename if possible. I also set the scratch gdb to that same gdb. This was in a python script environment not using the tool in pro but should be the same."- Kingstoncoooer

0 Kudos