How do I symbolize by date (DATE field)?

01-16-2020 12:50 PM
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I've seen some posts about symbolizing by date (I find it odd that Esri still hasn't come up with a good way to do this) in ArcMap but I haven't seen anything for Pro.  I cannot figure out a logical way to symbolize by date.  I am working with Collector to collect sidewalk details.  It would be nice to be able to track my progress and I thought doing this by date would be the best way.  I have a last edited date field that would work perfectly.  I could also create a new date field if that autoupdated field is an issue.  I've also considered using the YYYMMDD format in a text field but I would have to enter it like that each time I did an edit which is kind of a pain.  Seems to me that date or time should be a simple way to symbolize something.  Is there something preventing Esri from implementing this?  

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MatthewDriscoll
MVP Alum

I have never tried it before now, but using unique values in Pro seems to work fine.

JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Is that a DATE field or a text field with a date in it?  Also, since I am using the last edited field, there would be something like 1100 unique values.  The other thing I can think of is added a field that says updated with a Y or N flag and symbolize it that way.  Not as ideal but it should work for this project.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
MatthewDriscoll
MVP Alum

Yes that is using DATE as the attribute data type.

JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Ah thanks, I guess that really doesn't matter, it seems to deal fine with the unique value renderer but I am still stuck with having too many unique values to do this.  This of course is a polyline so all I really wanted to do was have all lines with an edit date prior to say 2019 be one color and the most recent ones be another color.  Is there a way to do unique values by a range of dates.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
MatthewDriscoll
MVP Alum

Yes you can!  Hold shift or control and right click and select Group values.  

Make sure to mark a response as correct if one answers your question if one is to your satisfaction please.

0 Kudos