How do I show dates before 1600 C.E. in animation overlays?

Jump to solution
10-30-2018 11:31 AM
BradSkopyk
New Contributor III

I am trying to use "Map Time" dynamic text overlays within a time animation (ArcGIS Pro 2.2.2) for a point data series with dates beginning in 1520 and ending in 1720. The dynamic text is formatted as the default:

<dyn type="animation" property="startTime" format="short|long"/>
   <dyn type="animation" property="endTime" format="short|long"/>

The result is that the overlay does not show the date (only the time) before 1/1/1600. After 1/1/1600, both date and time appear correctly in the overlay. Obviously, I want the "Map Time" overlay throughout the entire series, not just after the year 1600. Does anyone have any suggestions?

-Brad

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Brad,

Thanks for sharing the data.  After some investigation, it looks like there is a limitation right now regarding dates prior to 1600 with Time Overlay elements (Dynamic Driven Time Text) in animation.  I will be following up with our developer to get a resolution to this.  Although in the short term, there is a work-around.  If you build a custom field and push your date into it, you can create a Range Slider from this field and use Range Slider Dynamic Text.

The general process will be the same, although you will set up the Range Slider and drive the dynamic text through it.  I have attached an example built off of your map that has animation setup in this manner.  The example is probably simplified, although you can see how I configured the new field and set up the range slider animation...

Link to download:

TimeBugWorkAround - Box 

Please let me know if you have anymore questions,
Steve

View solution in original post

5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello Brad,

Any chance you could share your data with me?  Maybe the data or as a package?  I'd like to look at your specific issue.

Thanks, Steve

0 Kudos
BradSkopyk
New Contributor III

Steve,

Thanks for your help. Will a google drive link to a map package suffice?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1McNtecJhsT9HuSwm9Zk2YvVwmQWjkest 

The map should already have an animation set up. It is the Events_All feature class that I seek to animate.

-Brad

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Brad,

Thanks for sharing the data.  After some investigation, it looks like there is a limitation right now regarding dates prior to 1600 with Time Overlay elements (Dynamic Driven Time Text) in animation.  I will be following up with our developer to get a resolution to this.  Although in the short term, there is a work-around.  If you build a custom field and push your date into it, you can create a Range Slider from this field and use Range Slider Dynamic Text.

The general process will be the same, although you will set up the Range Slider and drive the dynamic text through it.  I have attached an example built off of your map that has animation setup in this manner.  The example is probably simplified, although you can see how I configured the new field and set up the range slider animation...

Link to download:

TimeBugWorkAround - Box 

Please let me know if you have anymore questions,
Steve

BradSkopyk
New Contributor III

Stephen,

Thank you for your help! I'm thankful for the work-around, and that you'll take it to the developers to see what can be done. I will give the work-around a try and will let you know if questions remain.

-Brad

0 Kudos
LukasHennies
New Contributor

Hi Stephen,

im working with ottoman WWI data, the year 1915 is 1330/1331 there. I have the same problem like Brad discriped. Would it be possible to share the workaround with me too? I'm not able to download your file from the link above.

Thank you very much!

Lukas

0 Kudos