How do I do a tree cover comparison for just a specific set of properties, comparing several years of data?

09-30-2021 08:36 PM
MarkDoehnert
New Contributor II

I am trying to analyze a change in tree cover for a specific neighborhood over a period of several years. Via our local government, I have tree cover data for years 2011 and 2015 extracted from the land cover raster (pixel) and converted to polygons (various file formats like Shapefile, GeoJSON,GeoDatabase).  And I also have the tax property parcel data, which are organized by something called Map ID. Finally, I have an Excel file of the Map IDs of the properties in the neighborhood I want to analyze.  All four sets of files are in my Project file (2011 and 2015 tree cover, tax properties shp file, and the list of Map IDs) and show on the map.  I am using ArcGIS Pro version 2.8.3.

But I am having trouble figuring out how to filter / query the tax property parcel data to just show the approximately 110 properties that are listed in the Excel file. Can anyone assist?

After I can get help with this, I assume to next do the analysis I just need to do intersects of each tree cover year by properties and measure the total intersect areas by year, and maybe compare the two tree cover views over the properties.

And if anyone knows of more recent tree cover data for Northern Virginia in the USA, like for 2020 or 2021 please let me know.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Use Join Field to join the appropriate fields from the table (Excel Sheet added to Content).

Then use Definition Query to filter using the MapID field (derived from Excel) where the value IS NOT NULL (or <> ' ').

Think Location
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you have an Advanced license, you can run Tabulate Intersection to get the output areas once that query is set.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos