Select to view content in your preferred language

How do I create pie chart symbology using non-numerical data?

Jump to solution
03-08-2023 10:02 AM
Labels (1)
rzarate0213
New Contributor II

Greetings! I'm working in ArcGIS Pro 3.1.0.41833, trying to create pie chart symbology for non-numerical data, but I'm only able to display numerical data. I'm trying to identify different facility types in the same field, and also include a "pie slice" to show if a facility is federally operated. How do I access these non-numeric fields in order to create the pie chart symbology? Attached is a screenshot of the type of end result I'm looking for. Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

On reviewing your original question I'm not entirely sure you want pie chart symbology.  You're aware you can symbolise by attribute? https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/mapping/layer-properties/unique-value.htm

I'd get a second opinion before you add any fields to do the pie chart as I just don't understand your data or exactly what you need.  Hopefully someone else understands what you need to achieve and can assist.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

What does your data look like?  You could probably have a single field for each facility type, then just populate it with a 1 for yes and leave blank if it doesn't exist. Doesn't work great when you have lots of facility types however.  Solution really depends what your data looks like  

rzarate0213
New Contributor II

The data is pretty small; there are only fourteen facility types, so I imagine this solution would work for me. Thank you! There are also only three facilities that are federally operated that I need to distinguish with a "pie slice". How would I associate the federal field with the facility type field to create the pie chart? Would the federal field also be a "1 for yes" situation as well?

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I don't exactly understand what you want to do, but if it's what I think, you may want to add fields more - Federal Facility type a, Federal facility type b... but it might get a bit too much.

Might be best to copy your layer and do a definition query or selected export of just those federal sites (remove or definition query the sites from the original layer).  You could then use the same facility type fields but just choose a different colour ramp or field names.

rzarate0213
New Contributor II

Apologies for the confusion on my end. I'm basically trying to create a user-friendly map to embed in a website that identifies polluting facilities in the Texas area, and also shows which of these facilities are federally operated. Our current map is not as clear in distinguishing these three federal facilities, so I'm attempting to distinguish the different facility types by color, but also identify the three federal facilities in the same layer if possible.

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

On reviewing your original question I'm not entirely sure you want pie chart symbology.  You're aware you can symbolise by attribute? https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/mapping/layer-properties/unique-value.htm

I'd get a second opinion before you add any fields to do the pie chart as I just don't understand your data or exactly what you need.  Hopefully someone else understands what you need to achieve and can assist.

rzarate0213
New Contributor II

I was able to generate the map I wanted with your initial advice of creating new fields for each individual facility type and assigning a value. I did the same for the federal facilities, and the map visually displays the locations in the manner I wanted. Thank you for your time, I greatly appreciate it.

0 Kudos