How do I add text as a marker symbol layer for line symbology?

Jump to solution
01-28-2021 09:00 AM
JustinJohnston
Occasional Contributor II

I am trying to add some text to lines similar to the screenshot below from an erosion and sediment control plan.  How do I go about changing the symbology of lines to create similar lines as this?  Do I need to first create pictures of the text and use a picture as the marker symbol?  It would seem like I could include text as the marker somehow.

JustinJohnston_0-1611853117221.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor
  1. Given a lines layer, go into the symbol's Properties, then go to the Structure sub-tab (that's the wrench)
  2. Click Add symbol layerMarker layer
    jCarlson_0-1611853726474.png

3. Back on the Layers sub-tab, select your new marker layer and set its Form to the text marker at the lower-left
    jCarlson_1-1611853842705.png

4. Pick your desired Shape text symbol, then go on to adjust the Marker Placement and Placement Template and other settings to get the text to look how you'd like.
    jCarlson_2-1611854160726.png

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

7 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor
  1. Given a lines layer, go into the symbol's Properties, then go to the Structure sub-tab (that's the wrench)
  2. Click Add symbol layerMarker layer
    jCarlson_0-1611853726474.png

3. Back on the Layers sub-tab, select your new marker layer and set its Form to the text marker at the lower-left
    jCarlson_1-1611853842705.png

4. Pick your desired Shape text symbol, then go on to adjust the Marker Placement and Placement Template and other settings to get the text to look how you'd like.
    jCarlson_2-1611854160726.png

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
JustinJohnston
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks!  Much closer now.  How do I get the line  breaks under the text?  do I need to use a dashed line and try to get the gaps to match the placement of the text?

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I think it would be a careful configuring of the dash pattern, yes, unless there's a "masking" setting I am unaware of on the symbol layer effects.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
SteveKubera
New Contributor

I came up with one step better...First tryFirst tryfinalfinal

0 Kudos
SteveKubera
New Contributor

First add the shape with the number 1 in it. Change the color to white. Then toggle the 'Shape Point Symbol' box.  Format your text and text string.  

It isn't perfect, but it works.

"Kubes"

0 Kudos
SteveKubera
New Contributor

Here are a couple of snips...

0 Kudos
AhmedRauf
New Contributor

How can we do it for polygons?

0 Kudos