How can I save a map to an older version of ArcGis Pro using ArcGis Pro 3.0

07-27-2022 12:16 AM
JustinAlleyne
New Contributor II

I have recently upgraded to ArcGis Pro 3.0, my colleagues are using ArcGis pro 2.4 and 2.8, how can I save a map to a version that they can open?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You may have to use a Project Package since individual map files don't have a "save as" option

Migration from ArcGIS Pro 2.x to 3.0—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
MichaelDuBois
New Contributor

Hi Dan,

If there's no option to backsave the project, why does ESRI give me the illusion of a choice in its prompt:

"This project was created using a previous version of ArcGIS Pro 2.9.0. If you save this project with the current version you will be unable to open it in earlier versions. Do you want to proceed?"

If ESRI  is forcing me to save as 3.0, why does it deceptively suggest I have any choice in the matter? I clicked 'No,' but was not provided a backsave option, like Microsoft Office products provide you with (Word, Excel, etc.). Or ArcGIS Desktop, for that matter.

This dialog box strikes me as deceptive - making the user think he has a free choice when he has none. I don't have an issue per se with the forced choice, but with the fake illusion that it's not forced...

Thanks,

Mike

JustinAlleyne
New Contributor II

Ok noted, thank you

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Migration from ArcGIS Pro 2.x to 3.0—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

newer versions can read older versions, not the other way around.

Giving projects unique names during the save/save as process avoids potential reading issues.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
smkruzik
New Contributor

so the other departments that are still using 2.8 will have no way of opening up my project now that I'm at 3.0?  You always had the option of saving to an earlier version in desktop.  C'mon ESRI, be better than this!  

CordulaGöke
Occasional Contributor

It is so frustrating, I think ArcMap started that way as well and added the option to save older versions later. I would think that it is obvious that working together with different versions is needed.

0 Kudos
ZackRobison
New Contributor II

The ArcGIS documentation on migrating from 2.x to 3.x claims that Project Packages should be openable in 2.x.  If that doesn't do the trick, you could try using arcpy to export the package with a version argument.

0 Kudos
CordulaGöke
Occasional Contributor

Yes, packages are, but that means that you save the data as well, or is there an option to leave the data,where they are? E.g. If you use data from a central data collection?

0 Kudos
ZackRobison
New Contributor II

You can create a map package using the Package Map tool with the reference all data argument set.

0 Kudos