Custom Font for Base Maps

02-18-2024 11:51 AM
Labels (3)
AAshford47
New Contributor II

I'm new to the latest ArcGIS Pro and working on an architectural thesis. I have to get the base map text (labels) from the base map "human geo lite" to match the text in my thesis book - very important for the graphics. My fonts are Futura PT and Magistral. They are both Adobe fonts, but I do have the ttf for Futura PT in both my windows fonts folder and the ArcGIS font folder.

I have been editing the base maps in the Vector Tile Style Editor, and this has gotten my color palette going in the right direction, but the fonts are limited to what ESRI has available. This doesn't work for me and I'd like to know how to resolve this... easily.

Is there a base map text (label) file that I can edit in ArcGIS Pro and select my font? Is there a way to do what I can do with the Vector Tile Style Editor with the "Human" base map but all in ArcGIS Pro? I really just need to have full control over the base map text.

Please Help!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RonaldHaug
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Ashford,

What an awesome project you are working on. Lucky you!

I thought this article might be of some help to you.

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/mapping/mapping/working-with-fonts-and-sprites-being-creat...

See if you can stuff those fonts into the resources/fonts folder in the vector tile editor.

If you have an adobe subscription you can download Magistral from them. Otherwise you can search the internet for a free version, always a bit of a headache.

Please let us know how you're doing.

0 Kudos
AAshford47
New Contributor II

Thank you @RonaldHaug - I will read through all this and see if i can - (build your own basemap. For that, you need to go back to first principles …) as neither of my fonts are in the Vector Tile Style Editor!  I have to wrap up a submission by 3am, so tomorrow ill take a look.

So far... the Broward County is Futura PT in a shapefile, but the Base Map labels are a false match in VTSE.

AAshford47_0-1708313195245.png

I need to learn where to go to download some first principles basemaps to edit in ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos