Select to view content in your preferred language

How can I know how many tiles have been processed while using the Union geoprocessing tool?

07-05-2018 10:51 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm preparing some data to do a flow model analysis and need to combine some data I have for soil types and slopes so that I can compute a coefficient to be entered into my model. My data is for an entire county in which each pixel is a 5x5 square. I've been running the Union geoprocessing tool for nearly two weeks now and still can't seem to figure out how much has been completed and how much more I have to go. Every once in a while the results panel will show a value different from 100%, but it seems that it is only showing progress of one tile. Most of the time the results panel just shows that it is at 100% and is Reading Features and Processing Tiles. Is there any way to find out how many tiles it has done and how many more I have to go? If this is going to be a never ending process, I'd rather stop it now and work towards upgrading my hardware or changing my plan for this project instead of wasting another 2 weeks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

If it's been sitting, looking at you for 2 weeks then I would say that something got stuck about 13 days ago.

You refer to "pixels" at 5 x 5, is that 5 metres? And Union deals with vector stuff, so how many polygons are we talking about. If you have the original data as raster, that would probably a more efficient way of processing the data.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

My apologies, they are 5ft x 5ft pixels. The entire county is 10,142,161,920 sqft (363.8 square miles). I have 3 slope polygons (multipart), and 16478 soil polygons (not multipart). So you think that if I convert them over to rasters that I could do a combine? 

The reason that I've let it run so long is because I know that I don't have the minimum requirements for arcgis pro. We are running on a virtual server and we don't have a video card installed to it. I'm not too informed on hardware so I'm not sure if this is the 'root' of my processing issues, but it makes a pretty great scapegoat. CPU and memory aren't maxing while this monster is running, so I don't think it's an issue with those. I suppose it got also conceivably be a core issue.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Your computer is 'under-nourished'.  and arcmap doesn't use all available memory anyway.  If you are running other applications then you may have even less available.  You have to singlepart the multipart and working with rasters would definitely be better.  Do everything on a local machine (a real one) and use tiling manually if possible, although some processes will dice large inputs.  Best to beef up the machine and use Pro if you intend to work with large datasets regularly

DavidRoberts2
New Contributor

I have the same question as the original poster. The responses above are helpful in providing alternatives to processing a large dataset all-at-once, but it would be great to have a way to know at what stage in the overall operation a tiled processing tool is working. I have a union working across several large vector data sets in a file geodatabase and similarly see the individual tile processing status bar going from 0 to 100%, but do not see a way to estimate time to completion.

If this is not a current ArcGIS Pro capability it would be good to see this in a future version.

0 Kudos
ElizabethCaponi
New Contributor

Hi - I too have encountered the same question - How far along is my actual processing? And should I stop it? I've been combining my tiles now since yesterday and know that this can take some time, but if this is hung up somewhere I would like to stop it and reassess my workflow, but am hesitant if I am close to finishing. Did anyone ever find out if there is a way to determine how much processing is left?

0 Kudos