How can I intersect a surface (raster or tin) with 3D points?

Jump to solution
01-27-2022 12:50 PM
WilliamHarbert
New Contributor III

Dear Community, I have you are having a fantastic day.

I am trying to intersect subsurface layers (they are several formats, such as contours, RASTERs, and TINs) and all have the correct Z values) with 3D spheres that represent earthquake hypocenters (the X/Y/Z locations of an earthquake). The 3D spheres were created with standard dimensions and have Z values in the same coordinate system as the layers.  All data is in one Cartesian system  (state plane / HARN).  

The idea is that I would like to for a particular geological or subsurface layer (I have a bunch of them), intersect the events that are spatially associated with that layer. 

I have hit a rough spot trying to do this because the surface itself isn't used by the Intersect 3D tool.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WilliamHarbert
New Contributor III

I understand that Intersect 3D Line With Surface will do the intersection for lines and surfaces, but would like to intersect the points (that is the 3D spheres in real world units mentioned in the post).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WilliamHarbert
New Contributor III

I understand that Intersect 3D Line With Surface will do the intersection for lines and surfaces, but would like to intersect the points (that is the 3D spheres in real world units mentioned in the post).

0 Kudos
WilliamHarbert
New Contributor III

I have also been looking at "Add Surface Information", but no joy yet. 

0 Kudos
WilliamHarbert
New Contributor III
0 Kudos
WilliamHarbert
New Contributor III

OK, I figured out how to do this.  Not elegant but it works.  The goal is to write out an X/Y + attribute files and determine the elevation of these points with respect to the target surface.  You can capture that using the Add Surface Information geoprocessing function.  QED.

0 Kudos